Friday, 31 July 2009

Vegetable Tempura

Some people have fish and chips on Friday night, I have just had vegetable tempura.
Everything on the plate is from the allotment: squash, courgette and nasturtium flowers, green beans, baby carrots, turnip, white onion, broccoli and the smallest ever cauliflower. I do not have any sweet chilli dip in my kitchen cupboards, so had to do with Levi Roots fiery guava dipping sauce. It wasn't very fiery, but it worked well with the vegetables.

Now who has been a good girl and had her five veg a day. I have, I have!


  1. I've just had a curry. I think there were some vegetables in there somewhere, but your tea does look slightly more virtuous....

  2. This looks soooooo delicious and so pretty!

  3. That tempura looks divine, MC. My, you have been a good girl! What a nice idea to batter-dip the nasturtium flowers, too.
    I love the other posts for creamy pea pesto and cherry tart and your beautiful close-up photos of those happy bumblebees and handsome sunflower.
    Looks like you have a little "slice of heaven" there in Scotland!

  4. That is some beautiful tempura!

  5. Hmm! I never thought to deep fry my nasturtium flowers before, I always eat them raw in my salds or sandwiches. I did read this week that someone on one of the forums I frequent has made a 'watercress soup' but with nasturtium leaves instead.

    So that's two cooked nasturtium recipes to try, tah!

  6. Hi There DroolingVegetable.
    Thank you - I did feel positively virtuous whilst eating the tempura (forget the fact it was covered in batter).

    Thank you Clare. I had so much that I could've shared it with the whole street!

    HI Barbara,
    Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. I saw a TV cookery show a long, long while ago, where the female chef cooked with the nastitium, so I had the idea lodged in my head. They do shrivel, but taste lovely.

    One of the bee shots was taken by me, the other two by D, so I will let him know. He will be happy to know the photos of wildlife are being appreciated as much as the food. Thank you

    Welcome Greg,
    Thank you for the kind comment.

    Hey there Lady Kella,
    I normally eat nasturtium raw too, but this was a change from the routine. Definitely reccommend giving it a go. Nasturtium soup, now that does sound interesting, may give it a go.

  7. Wow!! You have been busy...
    Everything looks so delicious, especially the tempura which is one of my favorite things ever.

    Your gardens and your plants are just looking gorgeous!

  8. They do look very tasty. Much better than fish and chips!

  9. Thank you Michele,
    So good to hear from you.

    Thank you Mrs Costello.

  10. They look terrific. I ate a lot of tempura(ed) vegetables on holiday one year in Japan - my absolute favourite way to have them, I think!

  11. Thank you.

    These were lovely, I might make them again later on in the week.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You