Tuesday, 7 July 2009

Almond and blackcurrant cake

Sometimes living away from family has its drawbacks. I know it could be worse and they could all be living in another continent, but any distance, is distance too far. There are days when I just want to be in their company and times like these when I wish I could invite them over for an evening feast or cakes.
I mean look at the size of this cake, so much for two people to eat. This is the first time I have cooked with blackcurrants. On cooking the berries burst making the cake top look like some random splatter artwork.
The blackcurrants in the cake were intense and zingy, a bit like lemon juice. My only criticism is I used a rich creamy butter, which made the cake too heavy and greasy. If I was to make this again, I would use a plainer butter.
Enjoy warm with whipped cream. Oh I can see the weight piling on. For a less buttery version of this Almond and Blackcurrant Cake, follow this link for the recipe.


  1. Look delicious and the currants are amazing!

  2. Oh Michele,
    There is loads where they came from.

  3. I wonder why currants are not very popular here?

  4. Michele,

    It's the first time ever I have tasted them fresh and the first time I have cooked with them. I am now well and truly a fan.

    People here don't cook with them that often either. Maybe because they are so small, peoples perception of them is that they ar not going to yeild much. They are powerful on flavour.

  5. Do they have seeds inside? I can't remember...

  6. Hi Michele,
    Yes they do, but they don't stick to your teeth as other fruit seeds.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You