Thursday, 2 July 2009

Adorn with edible flowers

This afternoons harvest: luscious raspberries, strawberries, nasturtium flowers and leaves, rocket flowers and leafs, lollo rosso and all year round lettuce. Salad and fruit bowl straight from the plot to the plate.
I came to discover the joys of edible flowers when I first grew nasturtium in orange, red and yellow. These below are a little wilted from the heat of the sun.
My mother grew some in her garden for the first time about three years ago only for the colour. She was pleasantly surprised to learn that both the leaves and flowers were edible. I tried to encourage my Dad to try a nasturtium flower; he didn’t say anything to me except give me his ggrrr bear look as if to say, ‘I'm a man, I don't eat flowers’.
Not only are they pretty, add vibrant colour and garnish a salad, but some of them do taste good too, the peppery flavour of a delicate nasturtium flower and the cucumber like flavour of borage. Edible flowers are a nice addition to a plain green salad.

Here are a list of some edible flower, please do make sure that the flowers you choose to eat are organically grown and haven’t been sprayed with any pesticides or treated with fertilizers.

Apple Blossoms
Borage flowers
Chamomile flowers
Chive flowers
Dill flowers
Forget me nots
Lavender flowers
Marjoram flowers
Orange Blossoms
Rocket flowers
Rosemary flowers
Sage flowers
Squash blossoms
Thyme flowers

If you are aware of any other flowers or herb flowers that are edible, please do let me know. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the list! I will have to keep an eye out for these.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You