Friday, 10 July 2009

Sweet Baby carrots

This afternoon, after work I started thinning out the plastic carrot tub. There was a reason behind why I was doing it now, rather than waiting tomorrow. I wanted some baby carrots for our meal this evening.
The carrots were so small, so cute, and smelled so 'carroty'. But not all are blemish free, if you take a look closer look, one of them has been attacked by the dreaded carrot fly. Boo hoo, how? the tub was so high. I cannot understand it. Hopefully, not many of the others will be affected.
I made this recipe of Baby Summer Vegetables with a Lemon Vinaigrette from Delia Smith's Summer Collection. The shelling of the peas, and then popping the broad beans from their outer skins was a bit of a nuisance especially after a long day at work. But hey, it was worth it. And the carrots, oh they were so flavourful...

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I would love some baby carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to thin the carrot box some more this weekend, so more baby carrots - no need to peel either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your carrots and fennel look amazing. I hope you enjoy today's sunshine up North.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Flowerpower,
    It has been rather hot up here, too hot to be working at the allotment, but that is still what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those vegetables look delicious. A plate of fresh seasonal vegetables after work is one the best things about having an allotment. The carrots are fab - I think carrot fly is very very common, especially on allotment sites. I've never really found the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comments reapwhatyougrow.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You