Saturday, 4 July 2009

Elderflower Champagne – an exploding success

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. I am literally jumping up and down like an excited little girl. Why? I have just opened a bottle of my elderflower champagne, and it is fizzing. Yipeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

It just shows that looking at the bottle from the outside can be deceptive. No visible bubbles, and I was fretting about a fortnight ago that my first time experiment with brewing had failed. But oh no, when I opened a bottle POP! About a third of the contents just exploded out. Oh it is so refreshing with its soft bubbles. It tasted completely different to when I had bottled it, sweet, golden and like Muscat wine. Now, it reminds me a lot of 'real' lemonade in style, very carbonated and it does smell a lot like alcohol. I will definitely be making these again.

The greedy person in me would make some more now, as there are still some elderflowers about, but unfortunately I do not have any bottles and nor the storage space, so next year it will have to be.

Sorry no pictures this time, I just wanted to drink it.


  1. Congratulations on a successful expirement! Enjoy the fruits of your labours, I think your Scottish weather is a lot like ours.

  2. Thank you so much Peggy.

    The sun is blazing here again.

  3. This sounds wonderful. Is it lightly alcoholic, or a soft drink? Just curious if children could have it.

  4. You will be pleased to note that the elderflower champagne I made is not an alcoholic drink, so it is child friendly. I think the POP! the fizz and bubbles will probably get the kids giddy naturally.

  5. I just made my first batch 2 weeks ago with what sounds like a very similar recipe, no need for yeast etc. I popped open a bottle this evening and it is most definately not fizzy, would you recommend leaving for a further fortnight? I have another 8 bottles. It tastes really good, just not fizzy.

  6. Hi Katy,
    So good to read that you have attempted to make your own. I was doubtful too about my recipe. Yes, I'd def. recommend leaving it longer. I think I may have ended up giving mine four weeks and it worked out fab. Guess what I still have abotu 6 bottles in the garden shed to drink - 2 years old - I'm too frightened to open it inside the flat.

    Hope your recipe works out well, please let me know. Kind wishes.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You