Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Broad bean pilau with mint

This dish is inspired by a Turkish recipe called baklali ve tereotu pilavi (broad bean pilau with dill), except I don’t have any dill. Over the past few weeks, I have been boasting at how wonderful my herb plots are, but the dill I was growing has just withered away by the heat of the sun, so I have had to substitute the dill with mint.
It was still a tasty dish, the flavours of both the mint and the broad beans came through.

Broad bean pilau with mint
Serves 2 – 3
175g long grain rice, washed thoroughly under cold water and drained
250g shelled broad beans
6 tablespoons of butter (for vegan alternative, the butter can be substituted with olive oil)
2 tablespoons of fresh mint, minced finely
250ml water or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper for seasoning
In a large pot, add butter and melt, then add mint and rice and swirl to coat in buttery juices. Cook for a couple of minutes. Then pour in the water or stock, seasoned with a little salt if necessary. Stir and then cover the pan and cook over low heat for 30 – 35 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed. Turn of the heat.

Remove the lid, and cover the pan with a clean tea towel, replace the lid and leave it to ‘rest’ for 10 minutes.

Fluff up the pilau with a fork, and serve with natural yogurt or soured cream.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! The mint is a great addition.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You