Tuesday, 21 July 2009

Yorkshire mushrooms and herb Tattoo potatoes

I’ve said it before and I say it again, I like reading other peoples blogs, and sometimes I am inspired. I saw the recipe for Tattoo potatoes on Dish'n' That a little while ago and was really excited by the look of them. I have been waiting for a while for an excuse to make them, but the excuse never came. So I decided to try them out anyway, why do I need an excuse? I used many of the herbs growing at the allotment plot: rosemary, mint, celery, sage, lovage, parsley and coriander (from the fridge), and potatoes from the allotment.
Well I have to admit, I was more than bowled over with the final result. I served these beautiful morsels with Yorkshire mushrooms. Thank you Barbara for inspiring and introducing me to these herb tattoo potatoes. I will be making these often now, especially when I want to impress both family and friends, or even when I want to please myself.

Mushroom Yorkshires
Ingredients
Serves 2 - 4
4 portobello mushrooms (from Ireland)
75g plain flour
1 egg, beaten
75ml of milk
1 tablespoon of water
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Method
Preheat oven gas mark 6. Place mushroom stalk up with a drizzle of oil and bake for 10 minutes. Then take out and drain its juices and allow to cool.

In the meantime mix ingredients, make well in centre of flour beat in egg, milk, and a tablespoon of water and make smooth batter, season with salt and pepper.

In the Yorkshire pudding baking tray, pour a little bit of oil and heat in oven for five minutes until smoking, take out and carefully pour in batter, it will sizzle and add mushroom so that it is surrounded by the batter and return to the oven for 25 - 30 minutes until risen and golden.

Herb Tattooed Potatoes
Ingredients
Serves 2 - 4
8 - 12 Small new potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Sprigs of fresh herbs
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
Wash and dry the potatoes, leaving the skin on; cut in half lengthwise.
Pour the olive oil in a clear glass baking dish and add the salt and pepper; mix well.
Press your herb of choice on the cut side of each potato and position cut side down in the oil. Don't crowd them; leave enough room in between each half.
Bake until nicely browned, about 45 minutes.
Check the potatoes after 15 minutes and gently move them with a spatula so they do not stick. Also carefully spoon over some of the hot olive oil over the top skin side of the potato halves, this will help them to crisp them up.
To ensure that they are well cooked, carefully lift a potato or two with a spatula to see if they have browned and crisped around the edges. Give them a poke with a fork to make sure they are cooked all the way through.
Serve hot from the oven.

10 comments:

  1. I love the tattoo potatoes! You have lots of veg coming on now,our onions are not good by any means the ones I put in at the very end of the planting time seem to be the ones coming on best.
    The welly dog is terrific, let us know any more inventions of your allotment friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! How pretty your potatoes look. It is a fun recipe, and you can use just about any herb. (Flowers would work, too!) I like the Mushroom Yorkshires you served with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potatoes and yorkshires so this is a mouthwatering combination for me. A delicious meal for when food supplies in the house are a bit low

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peggy.
    Thanks but I owe the compliment to Barbara for the tattoo potatoes.
    Like you I wish I had put the onions in a bit later, as one of my neighbour Nessie did this, and hers look good, unlike mine.
    You are so right, the veg are just coming in real fast now, that I can't keep up with harvesting them.
    I will keep my spy eyes open and keep you posted of other inspiring ideas from the new plotholders.



    Barbara,
    Thank YOU for sharing and inspiring others. I must try the flowers too at some point, I really enjoyed making these.


    Hi Nic,
    You are so right - this is a thrifty dish and delightful to the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Dish 'n That--I'm glad you discovered her blog. Your potatoes are gorgeous and I love the yorkies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those potatos look lovely! what a great idea.
    Im growing celery at the moment, they are still tiny, but I didnt know you could use the leafy part! What else do you think you could use them for, a salad perhaps?

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose,
    It is a lovely idea.
    I used celery herb not the leaf part of the celery plant, but i am sure it is okay, but would recommend the younger leafy part.

    I've made celery soup once, which was quite nice actually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips. I didnt know there was a 'celery herb', i just assumed it was the celery plant leaves :) i imagine the older leaves would be a little tough so your prob. right about using the younger leaves.

    Thanks

    Rose

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You