Wednesday, 29 July 2009

Creamy green peas....please

About a fortnight ago, Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes noted that I had an abundance of green peas growing at my allotment, so she kindly forwarded me a recipe for pea pesto. So at the weekend, when I got back from the allotment, I had decided to go ahead and make this, but when I had started I realised I did not have all the necessary ingredients, namely Parmesan cheese and Brazil nuts. But did this halt me? Of course not, I forged ahead with I had and ended up with a Versatile creamy peas. Why versatile, well take a look at these…
I used it for coating some boiled Desiree potatoes, served with garlicky sprouting broccoli.
As a dip for pitta bread – prettily disguised here as quenelles.
And finally as a veggie burger topping with our own lettuce and tomatoes. I know it ain’t the prettiest of foods, but it sure is packed with flavour.
I owe this recipe to Jacqueline, if it was not for her pea pesto recipe, I would not have gone down this route. It was a good way for me to use up the freshly podded green peas that were starting to go just that little bit over.
Versatile Creamy peas
250g cooked green peas
A good handful of fresh basil leaves with stalks
3-4 tablespoon of olive oil
2 generous tablespoons of cream cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, or with a bit of texture, that’s the way I like it.

5 comments:

  1. That is a great variation Mangocheeks and it looks quite delicious! You have given me some good ideas for serving suggestions as well. Boy I bet it was good on the potatoes and the burgers! *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Msngo...never heard of a pea pesto before but I'm now longing to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jacqueline.
    Your comments do mean a lot.


    Thank you Fran,
    I do hope you enjoy it. Remember it is packed with flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! what a lovely recipe (I've saved it in my recipe file).

    I don't normally grow regular peas as I can't stand the de-podding, I normally stick to mangetout but I think I'll give peas a try next year just to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kella.

    I hope you like it. I understand about depodding the peas.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You