Sunday, 26 July 2009

Rainy morning Eggy breakfast

It's raining outside. The plan was to go over to the allotment and finish off work we didn't get round to doing yesterday, but it doesn't look too good. We'll give it an hour or so, and the rain may calm down a bit. Otherwise, it may be a house clean-up day.

For now, I decided to make a cooked eggy breakfast: courgette frittata. No yellow courgettes for me this year, but I can't gripe too much as this courgette is one of the longest I've ever grown.
Courgette frittata
Serves 4
225g courgettes, grated or sliced
6 medium eggs
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
50-100g cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Beat the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat the oil in a 7 inch frying pan. Add the garlic and fry over low heat for 1 minute, then add the courgettes and turn in garlicky oil for a couple of minutes. Pour the eggs into the pan and stir briefly, then cook over the medium heat until set underneath and around the edges. Scatter over the grated cheese and continue to cook over a very low heat until the egg is set and only slightly runny in the middle. Because I made these in a blini pan (x4), I finished them off under the grill. But you could, if you wanted to invert a plate over the frying pan, hold both together firm, then turn over so that the frittata is on the plate. Slide the frittata, runny side down, back into the frying pan and continue to cook until set underneath.
Serve warm or cold.


  1. Thanks Jacqueline. It was nice cold too.

  2. A very timely recipe: I harvested one enormous courgette yesterday. Everything else is mathcstick-sized, so I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it.

    But no more! once again, Mangocheeks to the rescue!

  3. I love your pan - it looks perfect for the job. Was the frittata tasty?

  4. Hi droolingvegetable,

    Glad to be of service!

    I hope you and the little droolingvegetables liked the recipe. It is quite nice cold too, good one for picnics.

    Hi Mrs Costello,
    The blini pan is cute like those you see in kiddie kitchens, but they are a little pricey and not easy to come by, hence I only have one at the moment.

    The frittata was actually very nice, though next time I may put a tablespoon of pesto into it to give it more flavour.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You