Thursday, 16 July 2009

Raspberry Swirl muffins

My summer raspberry supply is starting to dwindle… the last couple of day, I have only managed to pick a handfuls worth from the canes.
I made these muffins early in the week to last us the working week ahead. Needless to say, they were all gone by the middle of the week. 'No, I did not eat them all by myself', D had some and I shared some with colleagues at work.
These muffins work well with raspberries that are beginning to soften and bleed out their red sweet juices, hence the swirl as you stir.
Raspberry Swirl muffins
Makes 12
Ingredients
375g self-raising flour
90g butter, melted
220g caster sugar
310ml milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
150g fresh raspberries
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 8
Place four in a large bowl. Stir in melted butter, sugar, milk, egg and raspberries until just combined; try not to over mix as it will result in stodgy muffins. Divide the mixture among the 12 muffin cases. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. Oooh these look yum! I've loads of soft (going squashy) fruit and I think mine would go swirly like that! (I don't think mine would last a day so you did well keeping them for half a week! :o) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there fran,
    Thank you.


    Julia,
    Thank you. I am a big fan of muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never succeeded at growing raspberries - i would get about 3 per cane - so obviously no chance to make muffins. These look so lovely. Must buy some raspberries soon as haven't had many yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda aka goodshoeday,

    If you lived nearby, you would have been very welcome to come over and pick as many as you liked from my plot. But no chance, so do try and get some and Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome. I love when Nigella makes fairy cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the raspberry muffins. You are right about them being perfect for ones that have started to go squashy. It's nice to have recipes up your sleeve for things that are on their last legs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Michele.


    Reapwhatyougrow,
    Have you tried raspberry mufifns with white chocolate. Absolutely divine.

    I am pleased that I could rescue these rspberries, in my lazy days of cooking, they would have just gone into the bin, and that's not even the compost bin. Shows how much I have grown in the kitchen that is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMM! I will have to keep this recipe in mind for when my raspberry plant (hopefully) fruits in summer.
    Thanks for the comment on my pumpkin pie :) I would deffinately recommend giving it a go, its quite easy to make.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pretty Rose,
    Thank you. I do hope your raspbery plant fruits, either this summer or autumn so that you can enjoy a vegan version of the muffin.

    I will let you know how the pumpkin pie goes when I make it.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You