Wednesday, 15 July 2009

Blackcurrant fairy cakes

I haven’t made fairy cakes for ages. In fact I can’t even remember when the last time was, but whilst I was creaming the butter with the sugar for this blackcurrant fairy cake recipe, I suddenly felt like I was at school participating in a home economics class.
In fact, the fairy cakes even look like something a school child would have made. But despite my clumsy attempt of icing and the berry on top, they did taste extraordinary. The sour zing of the blackcurrants was amazing, and the icing bursting in your mouth like sherbet. These fairy cakes were quite small and dainty that it was really easy to eat two even three in one sitting. Now whose a greedy girl?!

I still have a load of blackcurrants. I have decided to freeze them for future cakey delights.

Blackcurrant fairy cakes
Makes 12
100 blackcurrants and 12 for decoration
100g butter
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
100g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
300g icing sugar
juice from 1/2 lemon
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
Cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy. Then slowly sift in the flour with the baking powder and stir gently, then add the blackcurrants to the mixture.
Spoon the mixture evenly into the 12 cases (remember that they will rise and that they need room for the icing). Bake them for 20 minutes, then allow to cool.
Mid the icing with the lemon juice and pour over the cakes, topping with a berry.

Recipe adapted from Sarah Ravens Garden Cookbook


  1. I'm so envious that you've got so many blackcurrants: I've only ever had a handful each year whenever I've tried so I've given up this year!

  2. I am so spoiled this year with the blackcurrants, thats because we were wise enough to net them from the birds, last year we got nout. But saying that, we did not get to harvest a single red currant this year, as we did not get round to netting them, and pretty much every red currant had been got, by those greedy birds. But I can't moan much this time, can I - I've had my fair share.

  3. We had lots, more than we could use, because they are so strongly flavoured. It is hard to think what to do with so many of them - even one or two are enough flavour to use in a dish.

    Can't complain I suppose!

  4. These look interesting - how do they taste? Blackcurrents are a rare thing in the states. I may have to try growing them.

  5. reapwhatyougrow.
    I agree I have struggled to cook with them too, there are only so many cakes you can eat!

    Hi there Kristin,
    Blackcurrants are small little berries, the same size of cranberry, they are very juicy, fruity and zingy. They are quite powerful
    It would take years to establish, so I would recommend buying a plant from a garden nursery.

  6. I think I might have to buy a bush, they look great and those cupcakes are gorgeous too.

  7. I would definately recommend getting a blackcurrant bush. Now that I have tasted them both fresh and cooked (rather than just in ribena form), I am a fan.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You