Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Lettuce all be Thankful

I originally made this lettuce tart back in 2005 when we moved into this flat and our then new neighbour Nessie gave us a good handful of lettuce. This year I find myself with lettuce that is starting to bolt, so I decided to make it again.

I am very fortunate this time as I have an allotment now and all the vegetables in this tart are my own. Hence the reason I am entering this into the Grow Your Own (GYO). Grow your own which was started by Andrea's Recipes. I think it is a great food blogger event as it also supports the principle behind my blog that celebrates the foods we grow or raise ourselves and the dishes we make using our homegrown produce, plus it is a good opportunity for me to raise A2Ks profile in the blogging world too. GYO#39 is being hosted by the lovely Amy of Playing House. I really like Amy's blog she frequently showcases the work of other bloggers not just in relation to food, but crafts of all kinds, which I think is a fantastic way to share ideas and inspire others.
I know, I know looking at it there is something very 1970s about the tart, I think it may be the wholemeal crust, but this is supposed to be a rustic and homely tart, that uses frugal and thrifty ingredients, but that is not to say it is not tasty. It is very tasty, light and fresh and I really liked it! I hope you do too.
Lettuce, Pea and Spring onion tart
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients
For the shortcrust pastry
225g wholemeal flour
Pinch of salt
125g butter or margarine
3 tablespoons of cold water
Method
Sift flour and salt into bowl, then add the residue of the bran from the sieve back into the bowl. Add the butter or margarine then rub it into the flour with your fingertips, continue until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs, then add the water a little at a trim and use your fingers to press the mixture together to form a dough, then knead lightly for a couple of minutes until smooth. Then roll out onto floured surface and line an 8 inch tin and trim the edges. Bake at gas mark 6 for 15- 20 minutes until the pastry is set.
For the filling
4 spring onions, chopped
1 green lettuce, shredded
125g shelled fresh or frozen peas
25g butter
2 sprigs of mint
150ml single cream
1 egg yolk
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
While tart pastry is cooking, fry the onions, lettuce and peas gently in the butter for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, mix in the mint, cream, egg and seasoning, pour into the tart tin. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the egg mixture is cooked and firm to the touch.

7 comments:

  1. The scarecrows are fantastic! What an unusual theme for a festival. I am going to try the lettuce tart as I have never tried cooking lettuce before.
    I made your raspberry muffins and also tried them with blackcurrants which were delicious as the blackcurrants burst open during the baking.I covered it in a post last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Peggy.

    There were so many other scarecrows, an Amy Winehouse one in the window of a hairdressers shop, a mother and baby in another shop, Allahdin hanging from someone window and an angel outside a church, but we were a bit selective.

    I look forward to seeing your blackcurrant muffins, something I must try as I still have some blackcurrants to harvest.

    I saw another recipe in the weekend Guardian about a fortnight ago where HFW had also made a lettuce tart, it was that plus the lettuce in my garden that prompted me to make the lettuce tart again. I do hope you enjoy it when you make it. I really did. I also recently made some lettuce soup, which I will be posting later in the week. It was just as lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really interesting. I've only cooked with lettuce once and was surprised that it doesn't just turn to a mush. We did a 'classic' braised lettuce and peas. It was yum. This looks like a level up. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to pastry and often do savoury eggy tart fillings just baked in a dish and then eat it in slices. I'll be trying it with your recipe soon i think.

    I wish I was having more success with my efforts at growing stuff - tomatoes are on track but everything else is going wrong.....ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,
    1970s interesting eh?

    I used a green butterhead variety fo the tart, I don't think the fancier varieites would work as well.

    I like braised baby gem lettuce and peas, in fact it was that that made me realise that lettuce could be cooked like any other veg.

    I hope you enjoy this recipe when you make it, let me know.

    Glad to hear that your tomatoes are doing well, but whatever you do, don't give up on growing veg. It is one of those areas that you just have to keep trying and trying again - even successful veggie growers are never experts. Mother nature always throws up something. Take me, I have been rubbish in growing brassicas, namely cauliflowers and cabbages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspired by this I added some wilted rocket and basil to my frittata for lunch yesterday. It was really good and saved me ditching the rocket which was beginning to look a little past its prime :)
    Perhaps we should have a 70s cooking revival ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. We normally use spinach for baked dishes, but I'll have to give this a try, we have plenty of lettuce for it. Thanks for sharing your post with Grow Your Own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Andrea.

    I have put a link to the GYO site, so other people can join in with seasonal cooking if they wish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen