Thursday, 30 July 2009

Slice of cherry tart

The tart below is made with the cherries I picked from a tree in Essex. These cherries were originally yellow with a bright red blush, but have ripened furthermore on the window sill. I think they are a variety known as Ranier as the flesh was pure yellow, very firm and finely textured, but I may be wrong.
We ate most of them au naturale, just popping them into our mouths like sweet popcorn, but I had about 250g left, so I made this cherry almond tart. This tart is pretty much based on the greengage and almond tart. On cooking, the cherries tasted quite sour, but it was nice washed down with a cuppa Darjeeling.
Cherry almond tart
Serves 4-6
Make your own recipe for sweet shortcrust pastry
For the filling
50g margarine or butter
50g ground almonds
30g caster sugar
1 large egg
250g cherries, stoned
2 tbsp flaked almonds
Heat the oven to gas mark 6. Dice the butter into a bowl. Add the almonds, caster sugar and combine, then add egg and mix until your achieve a thick paste. Spread the paste in the pastry case. Place the cherries cut-side up in the frangipane with a little space between each one. Scatter the flaked almonds over the tart. Bake for 25 – 35 minutes, or until the frangipane is firm and swollen, the cherries will bleed a little, but that add more colour to the tart. If you wish, dust with icing sugar before serving.


  1. Looks really yummy! as do the creamy peas, but this really looks lovely!

  2. Wow, that looks good! I am very impressed :)

  3. You are so prolific! I can hardly keep up, but I am not complaining, it is always nice to log in.

    As for this fabulous cherry and almond tart, I think I am going to borrow this for some of my plums. Will send a pic if I ever get round to it!

  4. Thank you so much fishywishy1 and Jacqueline.

    Hey Linda,
    Thank you - you made me smile.

    Guess what I even made my own sweet shortcrust pastry without the use of gadgets. Sometimes I find it therapeutic, sometimes I am so impatient.

    Ooh plums, looking forward to reading about it on your blog. Some of the plotholders have plum trees, so I will be lashing my bats to get some.

  5. Hi I just had a short nosey of your blog and thank goodness I just finished cooking dinner, cause I'm drooling.

    I'm off to eat my dinner and will have a good read of your blog from day one later tonight, when everyone else is in bed.

    Thanks again for visiting my blog.

  6. Oh Kella,

    I hope you enjoy reading my blog, as much as I enjoy writing about my allotment and sharing the treats from my small kitchen.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You