Monday, 13 July 2009

Turnip and potato gratin

Yesterday it was turnip greens, today it is the turnip bulbs.
This dish gave me the excuse to use up some of the turnips and potatoes from the allotment. I was also fortunate enough to have some freshly grated horseradish courtesy of Ds parents. They got us a jar from a farm shop in Essex.
Turnip and potato gratin
Serve 4
2 – 3 tablespoon of freshly grated horseradish, or prepared horseradish.
6 medium Turnips, peeled and thinly sliced preferably with a mandolin
6 - 8 medium Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
¼ pint of double or single cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter the gratin dish. Add horseradish to the double cream, season with salt and pepper and combine well. Layer the potatoes fist, then cover with turnips. Repeat this until all vegetable slices have been used. It doesn’t matter if you mix or match them. Pour over the horseradish cream as evenly as you can. Bake at gas mark 6 for 45 – 50 minutes until vegetables are cooked through and the top is golden.

Sometimes the simplest dishes are the most comforting, especially on a rainy day.


  1. It sounds lovely. Potato dauphinoise is one of my favourite dishes, and I can imagine the addition of a slightly lighter vegetable would work really well.

  2. How delicious! I love the horseradish~

  3. Reapwhatyougrow,
    Yeah, it does look a bit like potato dauphinoise.

    The horseradish had just enough bite. I liked it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You