Saturday, 24 March 2012

Carrot Ice-Cream

The last time I made ice-cream at home was in my University years.  I had come back from visiting my best friend Leah in America.  I was inspired after having  a Lavender ice-cream in Berkeley somewhere, I knew I had to have a go at making some back at home, which at the time was Scotland. 

The lavender ice-cream was made by purely by hand, no help with the churning of an ice-cream maker.  It was gorgeously scented and flavoured, but I did not make another again.  I made plenty of sorbets from scratch at home: Rhubarb Sorbet, Strawberry Sorbet, and even a Rosemary and Lemon Sorbet, but no ice-cream. To encourage myself to start making ice-cream again, I eventually even treated myself to an ice cream maker, but later discovered I just did not have the freezer space for the insulated bowl that had to be left in the freezer overnight before churning could begin.  So it remained in the box for many years, until this weekend.  And what a wonderful sun-shining weekend it is here in Wales.  We ever took a drive to the Wetland Centre, but more about that later.  Today is about this beautifully saffron coloured 'Carrot Ice-cream'.
Other than the amazing colour, what I love about this recipe too is that is it contains no eggs.  The flavour would wonderfully sweet and it tastes like a sublime carrot dessert.  D really likes it, in fact he has had four scoops already.  He got one of my nephews to try it, he didn't seem so keen on it - Kids huh! 
This Carrot Ice-cream can be made even more luxurious with maple syrup in place of the honey and the cinnamon for another spice, perhaps nutmeg, saffron if your blessed or chilli, if you dare.  Had I thought about it in advance I would have thrown in a handful of raisins too, just to give it that Carrot Cake Ice-cream feeling.    I am linking this to March Simple and in Season, a monthly event hosted by Ren Behan at Fabulicious Food and Fight Back Friday hosted by Real Food Renegade.
Carrot Ice-Cream
Makes about 2½ pints
Ingredients
850g carrots, grated
250ml milk
160ml honey or maple syrup
250ml double cream
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or other spice - see options above)
1½ tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
Method
Combine the carrots, milk, honey and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat. Cover and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
Put the carrots, the cooking liquid and the double cream in a blender - You may need to do this in batches. Puree until very smooth. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Stir in the orange juice. Chill for 2 hours, or until completely cold.

Churn the carrot mixture in an ice-cram maker, according to the manufacturers instructions for about 20 - 25 minutes.  Transfer to a container and store in the freezer.

56 comments:

  1. Now you're not going to beleive this but I bought "C" an ice cream maker for her birthday on Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mal. Well I am glad you have. I hope she enjoys playing with it and creating many recipes for you and the family to enjoy. Belated Birthday wishes to Mrs Mal :)

      Delete
  2. How extraordinary! I do think it sounds a little odd, but it also sounds like I'd like to try it. But I bet it is better with UK carrots than Australian ones. In the UK root crops are so much sweeter than here m( esp parsnips). I think that Noth African cuisines sometimes treat carrot as a sweet. I like the sound of the raisins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't compare, as I have never had Aussie carrots, but I will take your word for it. A lot of South Asian desserts are made from carrot, such as halwa - so for me that was not so odd, but I do know what you mean.

      Delete
  3. This looks lovely Shaheen...I have been playing with ice cream variations over (our) Summer, but haven't made proper cream-based varieties (mine mostly have frozen bananas at their base). I love the idea of carrot though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh banana. I will have to have a go.

      Delete
  4. Wow this looks great and so unusual - just as well the kids don't like it - more for you and D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah true, but the good daughter in me is going to share some with my parents too. they just better come on over here before its all gone.

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Wonder how this will taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really unusual Shaheen. Looks very tasty though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ice-cream looks really good. I keep this in mind when we have some carrot harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to make it when you get round to harvesting your carrots.

      Delete
  8. Wow that looks great - such lovely colour as well as interesting flavours - I am not that keen on ice cream and have little room in my freezer but when I see such interesting ice creams I have a yen to make it and even run out t buy an ice cream maker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna.
      I used to have little room in my freezer, but now a little more as the house I am renting comes with a fridge freezer, giving me more room. Put a ice cream maker on your wish list, though you may find yourself not using it for a long while :0)

      Delete
    2. just bought purple carrots this week and think this would make great purple ice cream with them

      Delete
    3. I enjoyed growing and eating purple carrots.. I preferred eating them raw, steamed - but cooked in soup, didn't go down so well with me. I'd be real curious how Purple Carrot Ice-cream would look and taste though, so if you make them - do share :)

      Delete
  9. It look amazing! I'm a little frustrated about doing ice cream. I made twice and I had not good results. But I'm stubborn, so I' m go to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am sorry to read that ice-cream making has been frustrating for you. I know you will try again and succeed. What flavour are you going to make?

      Delete
    2. I love pineapple and cream!

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure that I would like this, to be honest. I've tried a few vegetable ices in the past and they have never really seemed right to me. Give me Raspberry Ripple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Mark.
      I have a sneaky feeling you may like this one :)

      Delete
  11. Wow! Carrot ice-cream - that is original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you PMDoolan.

      Delete
  12. Shaheen,
    I never had Carrot ice cream before.
    I have to try this recipe.
    Paz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chandra,
      I hope you do and I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  13. Somehow, I scrolled down too far and left a comment meant for this post on your seed starting post by mistake...sorry about that!

    Anyway, what I meant to say was that this is a wonderful idea for ice cream! It's a gorgeous color too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, it is sooo good to hear from you. Its been a long while, hasn't it.

      Delete
  14. Uhmmm YES!!! I don't know how I've never eaten this before. This is incredible. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. MMM,..W>hat a truly appetizing carrot ice-cream! I think that I never tasted a carrot ice-cream before! Another must try of yours! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am addicted to making lavender and honey ice-cream - but then I put lavender in everything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lianne. I have to make lavender ice-cream again, I so have to. Ijust don't have a lavender plant, but I know someone who has - my mother in law.

      Delete
  17. Oh yum! I'd like a scoop of that, thank you! Its almost mid summer here and the temperatures are searing up to 35 degree Celsius and you ice cream makes me think of cool hill stations and and chilly mist. Oh, yeah... Its making me thirsty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sri.
      I'd be happy to share :)

      Delete
  18. This is very original! Great idea, will try it for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks lovely! and as i heart carrots i need to make it of course:) i'm not big on icecream, but i made a vegan raw icecream a while ago that was fab, trying to cut down on my dairy intake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely to hear from you Pia.
    I have been coming by your blog, just not commenting as much. I don't consume much dairy either to be honest, so a vegan ice-cream is on my list once of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shaheen, sorry if I've commented twice, computer playing up!

    The ice cream looks beautiful, I will just admire it from a distance as I don't think I could do ice cream with only having a tiny freezer compartment. To have a decent size fridge or freezer would really open up my cooking capabilities.
    I'm sure it tasted as wonderful as it looks. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Patty,
    This is the only comment :)
    I know what its like from experience having only a tiny freezer compartment, when you do get a decent sized one - I do so hope it will expand your cooking experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's wonderful to see this carrot ice cream recipe. Wonderful, because I remember a friend's story of offering her little grandchildren "carrot ice cream" once. Vanilla with little carrots stuck in the top! :) The food on your blog looks amazing. I'm so hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am trying to imagine carrot ice cream. I do like both carrots and ice cream and it is a beautiful ice cream. I think, in the summer, I am going to try it. This is so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, stunning recipe, stunning colour and I bet a really amazing flavour. Thanks for linking up to Simple and in Season. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good for you! I made a parsnip ice cream for the first time a few years ago (with eggs.) Foolishly I didn't taste it before I served it to my brothers at one of our wine pairing dinners. It wasn't bad, but it had the consistency of cake rather than ice cream. I haven't made ice cream since. You've now given me the courage to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e. I still havent got round to making the parsnip variation. Good luck with continueing making ice-cream again.

      Delete
  27. I finally dit it! And... we loved it! Thank you! I talked about it here http://lavielabouffelereste.blogspot.ca/2014/08/creme-glacee-aux-carottes.html

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You