Sunday, 18 March 2012

Primrose and Lemon Slice for Mothering Sunday

Its been a long while, since I have been near my mother for Mothers Day, so of course I had to take the opportunity and bake her a cake for Mothering Sunday, albeit it one that she will share with the whole family. 

A few slices of this cake was also shared with my mother in law who described it as a 'lemony Madeira cake'.
I have some primrose flowers growing in the garden. I know that the flowers are edible and are often crystallised. Had i been more organised, I would have crystallised these myself.  But I have distractions, so these primroses served as garnish more than anything else. 
However, if you wish to crystallise the primrose flowers. You will need
1 egg white mixed with 2 teaspoons of water
Caster sugar
Handful of Primrose flowers (or other edible flowers)
Place the flowers on a baking parchment or a silicon baking sheet. Carefully paint all the surfaces of the flowers with the egg white with a cotton bud or a fine paintbrush. Then either sprinkle or dip in the sugar. Leave to dry and harden for a couple of hours before using or storing away in an airtight container.

Also if you wish to present them a little more elegantly, you can use round cookie cutters.  I was happy with the slices as its minimal wastage.  I may try baking this cake again, as I am still getting used to the new oven in my new home and I think the top was a little too golden.  I am linking this to March Simple and in Season, a monthly event hosted by Ren Behan at Fabulicious Food
Lemon and Primrose Slices
Serves 6 - 8

Ingredients
125g softened butter
175g golden caster sugar
2 eggs
Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
175g self-raising flour
4 tablespoons milk
For the lemon glaze

Juice of 1lemon
75g icing sugar

6  - 8 primrose flowers, gently rinsed orcrystallised
Method

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180c.
Grease and line a square tin with baking parchment.
Cream together the softened butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the lemon zest.  Gently fold in the flour until thoroughly combined. Add the milk and mix well.  Using a spatula, pour evenly into the tine. 
Bake in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes, or until golden.   Prick a xx and allow to cool in the baking tin.
For the lemon glaze
Place the lemon juice and icing sugar into a small pan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Evenly pour the lemon glaze over the cake.  Before allowing to cool completely, arrange the (crystallised) primrose flowers on top of the cake.  When completely cold, carefully remove from the tin and slice. Inspired by Nigella Lawson's Lemon Syrup Loaf cake.

27 comments:

  1. Hi Shaheen,

    Wow thanks for the information on crystallising primrose flowers. My primroses have done fantastically well this Spring so will give it a go...just wish I could bake cakes as well as you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know it goes, I am hoping to do some too, when my mother in law goes back home. I don't seem to have the time when I have visitors at home, its a bit of a distraction.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you could eat primrose liek that! looks like a great teatime treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. Mothers' Day is definitely a cake kind of day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and they look delicious, the primroses are so pretty. I actually love cake with dark crust - it reminds me of castella cake, this Spanish/Japanese honey sponge. Have you ever tried it? It's one of my favourites. I remember making it for the first time in Home Ec, it came out at pancake-batter consistency and my teacher was convinced it wasn't going to work. It turned out to be the best of the lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind cake with a dark crust either, but it was for my mother so it had to be a tad appealing to the eye. i haven't tried the Spanish/Japanese cake that you mention. I will keep my eye out for it.

      Delete
  5. I love flower recipes, there aren't enough of them! I've actually never tried primose flowers before. They make your cake look so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love madeira cake and a lemon one says "eat me"! Love the flowers too, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great. good week
    Hello

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lucky Mum's! This looks delicious Shaheen.
    I'm sure it was well received by the recipients, I know I'd have loved a piece ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, your lucky Mum: ) The cake looks lovely, crumbly and moist. I love the idea of crystalising Primroses - thanks for sharing that too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that would be a brilliant cake to make for my Mum with our joint love of Primroses.

    How lovely that you could spoil your Mum in person this year.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree Sue,
      plus the mother in law
      :)

      Delete
  11. It looks lovely, fluffy and light. Edible flowers are fairly new to me, a great little cafe down the road puts them in the salad they do. Adds a lovely different flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to utilise more edible flowers this year, lets see how it goes. Like the idea of it in salads.

      Delete
  12. This is such a pretty cake, I bet your mum was thrilled with it. I can just smell that lovely warm, lemonyness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely, it is really a mothering sunday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cake looks beautiful! I think baking for someone is the best gift :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe,
      It does look quite basic to be honest and i wish I had the time to have crystallised the flowers, but hey it was homemade with love. So your comment is much appreicated.

      Delete
  15. that cake looks lovely with the flowers - crystallised are pretty but fresh flowers have a brightness and liveliness that I love - glad that you are able to spend Mothering Sunday with your mum - am sure you appreciate it all the more for the years when you couldn't be with her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Johanna. I did feel a bit guilty for not crystallising the flowers. Yes I too was glad to spend some time with my mum on mothering Sunday. She doesn't know it, but she has a treat coming end of the month too.

      Delete
  16. The cake looks lovely indeed and I bet your mother was pleased to have you close by. I crystallise primroses and other flowers sometimes but have never added water to the egg white, so I'd be interested to see how well your method works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the water just loosens the egg white a little, so its not too thick jelly like.

      Delete
  17. I love your entry, so spring-like and what a lovely cake for your mum. Glad you are nearer now and thank you for linking up to Simple and in Season. A round up has gone up today x

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You