Friday, 9 March 2012

Orange Root Express Soup

I'm still on the orange root express.

Today my offering is a bowl of Carrot and Thyme Soup. 
I was prompted to make this soup after reading a comment from fellow blogger James  Brewer of Back to the Chopping  BoardJames was one of my earliest followers. Although not a veghead like me, he often left me comments on how my blog posts on vegetables changed his approach to vegetable based cuisines aka vegetarian food.   In my early days of blogging, I found his comments amongst others most encouraging.  I wish I could find the original comment and share it with you. Please do go by and check out his blog and let him know you came via here, it would be appreciated.

Anyway he mentioned that on Masterchef U.K this week, one of the contestant made a carrot cake with thyme icing.  Sounds interesting.  Other than variations of this soup, I've only had savoury carrot scones with thyme.  I have to admit with the move from Scotland to Wales, I have not been following Masterchef much this year.  I also lost a bit of interest as the format has changed. 
The drizzly rain kept us indoors today, so we had this thick and sweet soup for lunch today.  If you don't like your soup particularly thick, then just add more stock to water it down.   The thyme is there in the background. I am sharing this soup recipe with Karen at Lavender and Lovage for her Herbs on Saturday Blog Hop - March Edition
Carrot and Thyme Soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
500g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped

1½ pint vegetable stock
½ teaspoon dried thyme or a few sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil then stir in the onions and garlic, sauté until soft. Add in the chopped carrots and herbs and saute for a few minutes.  Pour in stock and simmer on medium heat until the carrots are really tender. Turn off the heat, when cool, remove the sprigs of fresh thyme is using and purée in a food processor. Then return to the pot, (add more stock if necessary) and season to taste, simmer for a few minutes before ladling into bowls.

21 comments:

  1. Haven't had carrot soup in a while now! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James is a lovely commenter!

    I used to hate carrots, or so I thought, until I had a wonderful puree at a restaurant (served with lamb). So now I often make a puree to go with a Sunday roast . . . and it is exactly the same as your soup but without the stock. Great minds and all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marmaduke Scarlet.
      Your the first person I know that had a disliking for carrots. Good to read that you are now a convert. I don't think I've had carrot puree, but I have made carrot dip many a time. Will have to give the puree a go some day with gnocchi or something. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Looks great as always - can't wait for the weather to cool so I can really enjoy soup making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay lunch today sorted! Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thyme sounds a good idea. I usually use coriander (fresh or seed) or parsley and fresh ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gz,
      I often make it with fresh coriander too - perhaps my fave way to eat carrot soup. Liking the sound of fresh ginger too.

      Delete
  6. Carrot soup, one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment - and from so far away, too! I'll be checking back often because my daughter is a vegetarian, maybe I can find a recipe for her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup looks wonderdul. It's freezing outside here so I think I will make it for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your soup sounds tasty I will have to try this out. Many thanks for sharing your recipe. Feel free to visit me in the orchard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Sarah. I will def. come by and visit the orchard.

      Delete
  10. I love carrot soup. It's lovely with thyme, parsley or, of course, coriander. I rarely use garlic but I think I'll have a go with your recipe as I pull the last of the carrots from our plot today. Will check out James' blog shortly, but really need to get out in the sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda.
      The garlic is really optional. I just love it.

      Delete
  11. Yum! I am a huge soup fan!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Shaheen, hope you had a great weekend. Thank you for your kind comments. I have to say that I used to be one of these people, that had to have meat with every meal, without fail. I love reading your posts and inspiration with what you can do with vegetables, that now I have at least one meat free dinner per week. It now does not bother me if I don't get to eat meat with every meal, soemtimes I really look forward to it when I don't. So honestly, thank you for opening my eyes up. I'm off to Yorkshire for a few days, but when I am back, I am trying this recipe. I will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James.
      And you are so so welcome.
      I Did have a good weekend and quite knackered from it too. My father has acquired a new allomtent plot, so was over helping him, but more about that later.

      Have a good time in Yorkshire. Hopefully upon your return the weather will encourage your to make something else than this soup. :)

      Delete
  13. I love carrot soup. I think spring is finally here, though last week I agree, was pretty miserable. for me, that called for rice pudding, but soup would have been just as lovely! I see rhubarb lentil soup on the right, omg that's a first for me! need to go check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shu Han.
      Rice pudding, ooooo I would love some.

      Yeah do check out the rhubarb lentil curry, it really was Delicious.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You