Tuesday, 6 March 2012

New Kitchen and Garden

Some of my fellow bloggers have been nudging me to show my new digs.  So here are a few pictures. 
This is my new kitchen, albeit it rented for the next couple of years.
None of my crockery, pots or kitchen related things match the faint apple green colour.  I'm not that fussed though.  I am just thankful for the space to both accommodate an display my kitchenalia, many of which was once hidden in cupboards.
I am for once able to get out my white kitchen gadgets: bread maker and food processor.  I will use them a lot more now.
Looking back from the kitchen, you may notice that the food processor has been moved.  I am still shuffling things around.   The kettle has been moved five times already.
In this house, you can actually step out into the garden.  I think this is wonderful.  I have always dreamed of a herb or kitchen garden, and the dream is coming true.  This morning, D dug out the herb patch by the backdoor. No herbs in it yet, I know but it won't be long.  Ah I wish I could have brought that rosemary plant with me, the lavender, the sage....
Around the corner from this seat arch is the patio area.  Oh I do feel rather privileged.  I've never had a place with a patio before.  Now I feel like bit of a madam. I can get some deck chairs and just chill under the sun.  Highly unlikely, as I do not like sun bathing.    
The patio area is presently occupied by my rescued pots and containers from the old flat. I am so glad I insisted on bringing them along with me. We even managed to bring our bird bath with us. Its of sentimental value to us really as we inherited it from D's late father. I dare not show you what's over the wall: a mattress, rotting wood, bricks and rubble.  The landlord has assured us that these will be disposed of.  He has been true to his word, the pile is shrinking slowly, but surely.
If you keep walking round the patio area, you will find where I have put my recycled cold frames.  I mentioned them yesterday.  They are made from an old bed frame that came in two pieces, and then stapled with recycled plastic sheeting.
Here's a peek underneath the cold frame.  I've sowed loads of seeds this afternoon: beetroot, squashes, peas, climbing beans and so forth.  I would have continued, but I had run out of both seed trays and compost.  We will start up again with trying to make our compost.  My father has an extra compost bin that he is happy for me to have.  Making compost will take a while, and as we are starting of growing again, we will need to get some, so  its going to cause a bit of a dent in our pockets.  As its one of our shared hobbies we've agreed that its an essential expense and worth it in the long-run.  We don't need to worry about getting manure though, we've sourced a place that gets rids of the stuff for free, only you have to go and get it.  I'm looking forward to shovelling the stuff and stinking out our little silver car - not!    
We also have all this space to grow in.  I haven't measured it yet, but its massive and goes right round to the front door.  It has lots of potential.  I am already seeing lines of bean and pea frames. 

I  have to share, there is absolutely no way that we would have been able to afford living in such a house with such a large garden. There are two reasons why it has been made possible. One the landlord is a friend of the family; secondly the house (as you may be able to see in one of the above photographs) needs rendering, so rent was negotiated. It's not perfect by any means, but it suits us for now and the last couple of weeks has been heart and home warming.   Its not what the place looks like  that makes it a home, its the people inside of it.  Just moving here has lifted our spirits. Let's hope good and fair employment comes our way too (and the flat sells soon).   For now we have plenty of new distractions.  The weather has been reasonably good to us too, as we have been out and about exploring.

65 comments:

  1. What an awesome space...both kitchen and garden...

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou, Shaheen. It's fun looking at the photos. Peter and I do not have anyplace for planting, which we miss. May you enjoy the heck out of your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen.
      I do hope you and Peter find a place oneday for growing. Sadly this place is ours only for two years, joys of rented accommodation. Don't know what the future will bring, so we are going to make the most of it.

      Delete
  3. I dream about walking out from the kitchen to pick herbs, one day hopefully! I'm so pleased for you and I can tell your spirits are lifted. Onwards and upwards now for you. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy,
      I hope so for you - oneday.

      This dream of mine is rented for two year, have to make the most of it. After that who knows.

      Delete
  4. lovely to see you are settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific. Maybe you should keep that old mattress. If you rip off the material, the inner springs make great climbing frames up a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veggiegobbler.
      Fab idea, but its unlikely we'll be doing it. My husband is not so keen on the idea, too afraid the garden space will look like an allotment rather than a garden. Still, thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to have all that growing space. The kitchen is a good size, lucky you! Good luck with finding a job and selling your flat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a lot of space - we expect big things now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's home and a roof over your heads AND it has space to grow stuff in!
    I hope you have a wonderful growing season and fruitful harvesting.

    Have a great week,

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. your new kitchen looks much larger than your previous one and such a lovely garden area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you considerthe lillies.

      Delete
  10. hello Shaheen: the house is beautiful and sooo big! The kitchen is a dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica.
      A dream I hope to enjoy while it lasts :)

      Delete
  11. How lovely, even if imperfect...Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your new place looks gorgeous! I love the kitchen - so big. And the outdoor space looks like it will be well used, and able to be put to good use :) I'll look forward to seeing / hearing how you go with the herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks lovely and so organised already - I'm impressed! All the best for your new home xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting , i can hear the excitement in your post . Your plans for the garden sound fab , hope the flat sells soon................and our house too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Squirrel Family,
      Yeah the unsold flat is hanging over our heads like a dark shadow. having to pay rent twice is not good, we ar still paying our mortgage on the flat.

      Delete
    2. Oh I nearly forgot wish you well in selling your place too. It is a tough time at the moment, but hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

      Delete
  15. What an ingenious idea using an old bed as a cold frame. Good luck with all your plans for the garden.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Shaheen, I can relate to so many things in your post. It's great to see you have so much more space than in your flat. How fantastic to have more room in the kitchen to get your gadgets out. I'm in a rented cottage and I'm fighting for space in the kitchen, most of my non essential stuff is still in boxes, haven't seen some of my favourite kitchenalia for about 4 years so I can sense what joy it is for you to have your things to hand.
    In my last house move 4 yrs ago I also took my bird bath, sentimental also.. I made it at a pottery nightclass and wasn't leaving it for anyone else!
    Wow your garden area looks huge and it sounds like you'll be having a bumper crop of veggies this year. I'll have to settle for some windowsill gardening as we just have a small square of grass, I might do some potatoes in buckets.
    Happy seed planting! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking time to comment Patty and share with me your own personal expereinces. Yes we do have similar experiences. I hope you are able to find a place of your own oneday where you can showcase your kitchenalia. Just look at it this way, when you open those boxes, it will feel like your Brithday and Christmas rolled into one. I was smiling at some of the things that had not seen the light of day for 4 - 5 years. Good to know you managed to take your bird bath with you. I'd love to see it on your blog, esp as you say you made it yourself. Once again I do hope you find a space of your own. I am on that path still, as this is still a rented home.

      Delete
  17. Wishing you lots of fun in your new abode Shaheen. It looks lovely and will be nice for you to have all that space to play with. Looking forward to seeing what you will create in that cute kitchen. Love your garden beds too. (btw I have made a feeble start to my other blog as promised!) cheers wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy aka Duchess declutter,
      good to hear from you.
      I did go by your other blog, at least your started it. I find it hard to manage one blog, couldn't really manage two on a fair scale, but sometimes different interests attract different bloggers.

      Delete
  18. fantastic to see your new place and really heart warming to hear you sounding so happy after having all those problems to face in glasgow. happy new home, and happy new garden! Louise xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Louise.
      I hope your keeping well too x

      Haven't progressed on the book front yet though, distracted with settling in and signing on to employment agencies. Hope to pick it up in not too long.

      Delete
  19. It's lovely! I am dreaming of a garden too... x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, dear Shaheen! Your new place looks lovely! i love the apple green colour of the walls. I hope you're settling down well. I haven't baked for so long since I started working and I do miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sumaiyyah.
      Thank you.
      I understand that working gets in the way of baking, hope you find time too though, it can be very therapeutic. Hope you are well. I may be int he same postition as you once I find work, and blogging may have to take the back seat, but so far no employment opps have come my way - still keep applying :(

      Delete
  21. I think you have rented a palace! It is splendid and the opportunity to garden is huge. I don't even think you need an allotment!! So great to hear the giggle in your words ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gardening Bren.
      Love that 'giggle in your words'.

      Delete
  22. It looks really pretty and you will be able to grow lots of lovely things too! Wish you the best of luck and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new kitchen looks wonderful! Being able to have your white goods out is such a luxury, I'm looking forwards to that when I finally have a kitchen of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Faint with Hunger.
      I hope you get this luxury oneday too.

      Delete
  24. Shaheen, I'm so pleased for you. Your new place looks so homely already.
    I think you're going to be very happy and busy in your new space.
    Good luck with settling in...and thanks for letting us take a peek :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. the house and garden look absolutely gorgeous in every single way.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow your kitchen looks so nice and vintage, I really love the colors you have used on the walls! Thanks for sharing your kitchen and garden with us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Shaheen
    Your kitchen and garden look absolutely lovely - such an amazing space. I've just moved too (and haven't been blogging). Just wanted to wish ou lots of luck and happiness in your new home.

    Looking forward to new eatting and gardening tips!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the cheery valance in your new kitchen! And your HUGE garden; you must be in heaven there.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Look at all that space in the kitchen, you are going to have so much fun in there!! Great to see you have a growing area again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James.
      I know, I am spoiled. Better make the most of it, the years will fly by. Yes, growing once again, is a 'real' bonus.

      PS I promise ot come by later this afternoon.

      Delete
  30. Lovely photos! Such a lovely big garden and I can see you are going to make it into something very special. Your kitchen is huge too!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoe.
      I will have to come by this evening and visit your blog. I'm still catching up with my blog reads since moving. Do hope your well.

      Delete
  31. Wow, you have really got a lovely place now, all that extra room in your kitchen and your new growing space looks brilliant. I'm so pleased for you.

    Enjoy every minute of sowing and growing (and I'm looking forward to reading about both!).

    Wishing you lots of love and luck in your new home.

    May all the seeds you sow grow and may all your love radiate through your home and nourish your souls.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue,
      Thank you sooooo much. I will enjoy every minute, I really will as I know this dream won't last long - limited joys of rented accommodation.
      Thank you so much Sue x

      Delete
  32. OOo your new home looks lovely! You're in at the perfect time to start enjoying your new garden too! I hope you're extremely happy there! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sooz.
      I wanted to ask your adivice on something, so will be coming by in a little while.

      Delete
  33. It's such a joy to have an outdoor space, isn't it. Your new home looks cosy. Hope you'll be very happy there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Heather. I know I will love it x

      Delete
  34. looks fantastic - and am glad to see some luck coming your way with this place - I love how light the kitchen looks as well as all the space - and the garden does look very spacious - I would love to see the patio down the track and see if there is room for your deck chairs among all the pots I imagine will be there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna.

      I really like it and am pleased. It's just a tad cold as it needs rendering and insulation in the loft, that should be done hopefully by the summer.
      Promise to show the patio more in the future a we progress.

      Delete
  35. Oooh ,...what a lovely house & kitchen & garden too! :) Yeah for you & your new place!
    the kitchen & garden & patio look lovely! ;) I think you are gowing to grow lot of exciting plants, veggies & fruits! keep us updated, my friend! :) Happy Times!

    I am also sowing, growing my veggies like yellow & green courgettes, lettuce, herbs, etc. We have a micro-climat in our walled garden. It is now in the sun , allready 37°C!

    ReplyDelete
  36. looks lovely! happy for your new beginnings and all that growing in your own back yard!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You