Saturday, 18 December 2010

Lavender Brownie butterfly

These may be the most beautiful brownies I have ever eaten in my life. I think this Lavender Butterfly is so pretty I could have pierced a hole in the top and hung it from a Christmas tree as an edible ornament. Then I could gaze upon it admiringly (and greedily), as it teased me with its chocolaty glitter and flutters of lavender scent.

I could feel the soporific effect of these lavender brownies (or maybe I was just really tired from a hard and grim working week, and Thankful once again for the weekend). These lavender brownies were pretty good. I had one just before my ‘beddy bye bye times’ last night helping me ease into sleepy lala land. It was a nice change from a mug of hot chocolate, or even a glass of red wine.
These fudgy brownies were made from fair trade dark chocolate, homegrown lavender and a little bit of shimmer and glitz in the form of edible glitter. The edible glitter is suitable for vegetarians. I’m not too sure how they last though. I’ve had this since I got married in October 2008. A word of warning, if you have fillings in your teeth they will react a little – a little sensitivity like ice-cream, but I think it’s a small price to pay for a little bit of extravaganza.
This recipe is based on the Orange Brownies. I used ½ teaspoon of lavender for this particular recipe. If you make a different brownie recipe resulting in a larger quantity, then adjust the lavender to 1 teaspoon. I want to forewarn you in advance though, I always do whenever I post a lavender recipes on my blog - Please be careful with the amount of lavender you use: too much and it could taste medicinal or worse, too strong that it will be unpleasant to consume and that will be a great shame.
Lavender Brownies
Makes 1 x 7 inch by 9 inch tin
Ingredients
100g unsalted butter
80g of dark chocolate
20g white chocolate buttons optional (or replace with more dark chocolate)
150g dark muscovado sugar
2 medium eggs.
75g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon lavender
Pinch of salt.
Method
Heat oven to Gas Mark 4.
Melt the chocolate, butter and sugar in a bain marie (or a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water). Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little, then beat in the eggs. Add in the white chocolate buttons if using.
Stir in the flour, lavender and salt. Pour into the tin and bake on middle shelf for 12 minutes. Allow to cool in tin before slicing up and serving.

30 comments:

  1. I bought lavender months ago and still need to try it - this seems an excellent use of it - you have a wonderful collection of lavender recipes and this is a great addition - the little sprig of lavender on the butterfly is especially sweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Johanna.
    I like the lavender on the butterfly too.
    I look forward to reading about your culainary lavender adventures when you get the opportunity to use it.


    Thank you Scented Sweetpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful! I've never tried brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks LeLa.
    This is a very easy recipe and one I recommend to you to make. Please do make it, if you don't have lavender substitute it with cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some lovely brownies. Chocolate and lavender is a great combo.

    Thanks for passing by my blog, I wouldn't know about your blog. It looks really lovely. Following you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe!!!!!! The brownies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love brownies and your recipe sounds easy and tasty, even though I'm not a lavender person.
    Thanks for reading my blog.
    Do you speak French?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful butterfly brownies and I bet the lavender was an excellent addition. I often use cinnamon in my brownies, but not yet lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice and such a lovely mould!
    Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Victor.
    It is so kind of you to follow me, Thank you so much :)


    Thank you fitchocoholic said.


    Thank you Cuisine Framboise.
    I am so pleased to read that you like the brownies. This recipe is very easy and quite tasty. You can substitute the lavender for cinnamon if you wish.

    Unfortunately I do not speak French. I wish I had concentrated more when I was at school :(


    Thanks Choclette.
    The lavender was an excellent addition. I don't know if you noted, but it is based on your easy brownies recipes which I made early this month with orange-choc. It was so good, I had to make another variation. I already know that I will be making more again. So watch this space.


    Thank you so much Cucina di Barbara.
    I do like to play with my cookie/biscuit cutters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful. Almost too beautiful to be eaten.

    Happy Holidays.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  12. great looking brownies! those are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much Velva.
    Happy Holidays to you too.


    Thanks Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, hardcore, chocolate before bedtime!
    they look lovely - hard to stop at just one?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Nic. It was in place of the mug of hot chocolate; and yes - it is hard to stop at one. But i did (just) :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! So very creative. I agree that these are almost too beautiful to eat! My favorite part is the glitter! So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are the most beautiful brownies EVER! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't wait to look over many of your beautiful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What lovely bakes - love the shape~!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these butterfly cutout shape brownies. Two things I have to get...the cutout shape, and the lavender, which sounds so elegant...will have to google both itmes, since my daughter-in-law loves everything butterfly. This is so unusual and pretty!
    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog-I'm now following your blog. I browsed though and love all your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What cute and exquisite cookies!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, this is sooo lovely.. and it sounds 'therapeutic' lol..

    Tq for dropping by at my blog.. your blog has so may interesting and creative recipes..shud try some soon..

    i never eat any lavender-ed dish before.. and i'm pretty sure it'll be hard for me to find any lavender powder[?] here..

    love the brownies shape and i wud like to try this asap! :D Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. so lovely!!! i make lavender balsamic truffles as part of my Bittersweet collection and sprinkle some homegrown dried lavender on top and they are always a huge hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so sweet! I bet they are so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never baked or eaten anything with lavender before, I have no idea what it tastes like. I love the butterfly shape of your brownies, they're beautiful! Thank you so much for visiting my blog today - it's nice to meet you too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So pretty! I would find it hard to eat initially, but then I'm sure I'd get over it ;) I really can't resist a good brownie.

    Also I love glitter on baked goods - it reminds me of when I used to wear it to go clubbing back in the day (not the edible obviously)!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi, they look very pretty and you gave me an idea to use cutters on brownies too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thank you so much for submitting your brownies! they are gorgeous!

    hope you come back again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much Scratch.Love.



    Thank you So much Sweet And Crumby.
    I am so pleased to read that they delighted your eyes too!


    Thank you Kitchen Butterfly.


    Thank you so, So much Elisabeth.
    I am so pleased to read that you are now on the hunt for both the cutout shape, and the lavender. I hope you find both and are able to try this easy Brownie recipe. Its the additional garnishing that makes it stunning.


    Thank you so much Rosa's Yummy Yums.



    Thank you so, So much Ribbon Clown.
    I am so happy to read that you like my blog. I am always excited to find a new blog and blogger friend.

    I grew my own lavender that is why I was able to make this recipe and others. I'd encourage you to grow some too. Then you will be able to bake with it.



    Thank you so much EcoGrrl.
    Ah I remember you mentioning your lavender balsamic truffles. Does certainly sound wonderful and i can see why it would be a huge hit :)



    Thank you so much All That I'm Eating.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Brenda.
    My first experience of eating lavender was in Amercia as Lavender ice-cream, then last year I made some Lavender scones and my cookign with this ingredient has taken off. I'd encourage you to grow your own lavender and then you will be able to make your own sweet baked treats and experiment to your hearts content:o)


    Thank you so much Emma.
    I know what you mean, it is too pretty to eat!

    I have some glittery eyeshadow (Urban DEcay) and have not worn it much as I thought I would. I think the party girl is liking staying home more now!


    Thank you so much lena.
    So pleased to read that I Have served as inspiration, that is the beauty of the blogging community!


    You are so welcome claire.
    I have to admit the pleasure will be all mine :D
    I hope to participate next week. I look forward to seeing the theme!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You