Thursday, 16 December 2010

Steamed Lemon and Rosemary Pudding

We don’t always have dessert or pudding after our evening meal, but with my mother in law with us. I thought why not, we all need a little sweetening.
I had decided that I wanted to make something different, something that my mother in law would perhaps appreciate - a classic British steamed lemon pudding. But these are no ordinary puddings, these are made with the addition of rosemary. I knew in my mind that the rosemary and lemon combination would work perfectly, as I've made lemon and rosemary sorbet, plus a Rosemary, parsnip and lemon tart before. I was just not sure whether she would like it or not. I went ahead with my plans and made it anyway as I was determined to introduce her to some new flavour combinations.
Unlike the photographed exhibit above that was plonked on the plate a day later - cold. The fresh steamed lemon and rosemary puddings came out easy without any stick to the moulds. They were soft and perfectly edible, but there was one flaw. Sadly, neither the citrus zingy lemon or the rosemary flavour came though strong. Both flavours were very subtle. D described this steamed pudding as a recipe in progress. I have adjusted the recipe below, so this time the flavours should come though, that is of course if you are interested in giving it ago.

At the weekend we went for a walk around Glasgow Botanical Gardens. The only photograph we took whilst there was of this little monkey. Someone obviously thought he looked a bit cold and was kind to give him a snug knitted hat that looks a bit like a strawberry. His gorgeous hat amused me, well it is a well known fact that most of the bodys heat is lost through the head, so I've decided to call this photograph 'Keeping monkey warm' . I think the knitted hat also gives him a little colour against the snow white backdrop. The monkey is sat on the lap of it marbled owner King Robert of Sicily.
I am submitting the above image to Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes who is hosting this months No Croutons Required Challenge. The challenge is to submit a festive photo, it doesn't have to involve food, just something that captures the mood of the festive season. I think this monkey captures the festive wintry mood in Scotland. I also think if nothing else it may bring a smile to fellow bloggers faces.

Steamed Lemon and Rosemary PuddingServes 4
If you have them use 4 individual plastic pudding moulds with matching lids. Alternatively, make one large pudding using a generously buttered 1.3 litre ceramic or plastic basin. Cover the basin with baking parchment and foil, secured tightly with string. It will take about 1¼ - 1 ½ hour to cook for larger basins. Check the water level halfway and top up as necessary.Ingredients
125g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
125g caster sugar
2 large free-range eggs
1 large free-range egg yolk
200g self-raising flour
Finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
Juice from 2 lemons
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, finely minced
MethodWhisk the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Lightly beat the eggs and egg yolk together. Gradually whisk the eggs into the creamed butter mixture, adding a tablespoon of flour if the batter threatens to curdle. Fold in the flour followed by the lemon zest, juice and minced rosemary.
Divide the batter among the prepared pudding moulds and cover with lids. Place the moulds in a wide pot and carefully pour in boiling water to reach two-thirds up the sides of the moulds. Cover the pot with a lid and steam over a medium heat for 45 minutes to an hour, until the puddings have risen and are lightly golden at the sides.
Remove the puddings and cool slightly. While still warm, invert the puddings on to rimmed plates and serve with cream or custard.


  1. My husband did a post of that statue on his blog, but the monkey didn't have a hat! That made me laugh, I will have to forward this post to him.

    We always have something sweet after dinner, you're disciplined!

  2. Chilean Woman.
    You must send me a link to his blog entry. I would love to read it.

    Me - disciplined - that is so funny :)

  3. Here you go!

  4. Mmm, your pudding sounds delicious! The hat on the monkey made me laugh out loud! Have a great day!

  5. Aaaah poor monkey... I'm not a pudding person but that sponge does sound tempting


  6. Thanks for the inspiration! I haven't made a steamed pudding in many many years. I have some more ripe persimmons so I might try them in a steamed pudding, my problem with the covered up pudding is that I want to open it up and check it all the time to see if it's done;-)

  7. The steamed pudding looks lovely :-) and the monkey with the hat is too cute!

  8. Dearest Mango, sorry it's been a while since I commented here. But this recipe just captivates me! My Nebraska grandma used to make a steamed pudding served with a lemony "hard sauce" on top, but I'm sure she would never have thought of the rosemary. The combination of lemon and rosemary sounds fantastic. Happy holidays to you!

  9. Thanks Chilean Woman.
    Even more amusing :)

    Thank you Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes.
    I'm glad you liked the monkey.

    Thanks Jane.

    Oh Patty - Thank you. That is one thing i appreciate about blogging, how we all inspire each other! I will have to come by and checkout your persimmons steamed pudding. I know what you mean about wanting to check the covered pudding _ I did too ;-)

    Thank you Alessandra.
    :-) The monkey in his hat does look cute, but his face also shows a little sadness i think.

  10. Hello Eggy.
    Its okay, I too have not visited your blog for a while. So you will hve to forgive me too. I am so pleased to read about your Nebraska grandmas steamed pudding served with a lemony "hard sauce" on top. I wonder if that hard sauce was lemon curd?!.

    Thank you so much Anna A.
    I am looking forward to make another combo soon!

  11. I've never tried lemon and rosemary in a sweet dish, but I will now! Thanks for the inspiration.

    The monkey made me chuckle. I have fond memories of Glasgow's Botanical Gardens.

  12. Thanks Domestic Goddess Wannabe.
    Just be careful with the amount of rosemary, too much and it will taste medicinal.
    Glad you liked the monkey :)

  13. This sounds like a gorgeous flavour combination. It's always a bit difficult to get things right with strong flavours as you don't want to overwhelm, but good to know roughly what quantity of rosemary to use as a start off.

  14. Thanks Choclette.
    Your right. I think it is best to be cautious, than ruin the whole dish with too much. Now that i have experimented, I know exactly how much to put in for next time.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You