Monday, 13 December 2010

A Bowl of Beetroot Bulgar

This deep black bowl is filled with grains dyed crimson from the bleeding beetroot. It is such a beautiful and dramatic colour that it shocks the senses. You are not quite sure what to expect.

When I originally saw the recipe for this Beetroot Bulgar Pilau, I thought it would be similar to the beetroot risotto I made early this year, but I have to say this was much superior. It is so good that I will certainly be making it again.
This Gothic crimson dish was sweet from the caramelized red onions, earthy from the beetroot and zingy from the squeezed lemon. I enjoyed every mouthful.
Ladle into bowls and eat with a spoon. Serve with a dollop of soured cream if you wish.
Beetroot Bulgar
Serves 4 – 6
2 medium red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium raw beetroots, peeled and grated
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 generous teaspoon dried mint
175g Bulgar wheat
400ml boiling water
Lemon Juice to taste
Salt to taste
Wash Bulgar under cold water to remove excess starch. Then set aside
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, garlic and cook over a medium heat until caramelized, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently to stop them from sticking.
Add the cumin seeds, chilli powder and cook for a further minute. Add the grated beetroot, Bulgar, mint and boiling water, then cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Season with salt and lemon to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature. Adapted from Maria Elia Modern Vegetarian


  1. The colour is gorgeous! Never know what to do with bulgar wheat, I have a packet just lurking in the back of the cupboard but now it has a purpose! Yum!

  2. Thank you so much Hanna.
    I think the colour is quite evocative too!
    Please do give this a go, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

    Thank you LeLa.

    Thanks Alessandra.
    It is rather pleasing. Its a colour I'd be happy to wear too.

  3. Eee, another beetroot recipe!
    This looks delicious, and I love the idea of adding lemon & mint to it, just the thing to perk you up on a cold & grey winter day!

  4. Thank you littleblackfox.
    This one is yummy, def. elevated by the addition of mint and lemon.x

  5. I've done beetroot today too! This is such a gorgeous colour and a great tip about using bulgar, thanks!

  6. I simply ADORE beetroot and this looks delicious, particularly with the addition of mint and lemon :) Thanks for sharing

  7. The Kitchen Maid.
    T'is the beetroot season. I've seen it featured on a number of blogs this week. Please do give this recipe a go, its very surprising.

    Thank you Ladybird.
    This dish is exceptionally good, and I am not particularly a lover of beetroot.

  8. This sounds exciting, and the color is rather seasonal would you say))))). The cumin must give this a lovely kick as well as the mint and lemon. Yumm

  9. Thank you GardeningBren.
    Yes, you are right and I have to agree - seasonal.
    The cumin and hint of chilli do come through too.

  10. I love bulgar & beetroot! This must be delicious!

  11. Wow. Am going to have to try this too at some point. I can't keep up with all your recipes but have to just tell've kicked started my obsession with food again which had flagged a bit after Diwali. Thanks.
    Love the colour soooo much.

  12. Thank you Charlie.
    This actually is rather delicious.

    Thanks Plummy Mummy for such a lovely compliment :D
    Please do give this a go, it really is a good recipe.

    Thank you so much Kath.
    Yes, it is pretty amzing.

  13. This is a brilliant-looking dish, Mango. I love bulgar any which way, so will have to give this a try.

  14. Thank you so much Barbara.
    Please do try this, it is absolutely delicious.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You