Thursday, 30 December 2010

Paprika Mushroom and potato pie

The flavours in this Paprika mushroom and potato pie were quite intense and meaty. If I had not made this with my dark brown hands I would have questioned what stock was used to make it? Beef, chicken or vegetable! A lot was to do with the making of the paprika based sauce, but to add to its intensity was the mushrooms. Most of us will agree that mushrooms reign supreme in the Vegetable Kingdom as the ‘meat vegetable’.

There are a number of paprika powders on the market. In my kitchen cupboards I have Hungarian paprika, smoked parsnip, hot paprika, sweet paprika and standard ground paprika from the South Asian grocers, which is what I used in this recipe.
I was just going to keep the mashed potato topping plain, but it looked a bit boring. I went overboard with the sprinkling of the paprika and made a five pointed red star.

If you don’t want to scatter the additional paprika on top, you could mash the potato with fresh thyme or parsley just to lift it visually. I do believe there is some truth in that people feast with their eyes first. You can make this pie in advance. It also reheats well.
Paprika Mushroom and potato pie
Serves 4 – 6
400g chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
2 – 4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
4 celery stalks, finely sliced
40g plain flour
2 teaspoons sweet paprika or standard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon cayenne
400ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
For the potato topping
750g mashed potatoes
Heat the oil in a wide pan, add the onion and celery and fry gently until the onion is soft and lightly coloured. Add the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms mixture, stir until well incorporated, then add the paprika, thyme and cayenne. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock. Return to the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened and smooth. Remove from the heat Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the mushroom mixture into an ovenproof dish.
Evenly spoon over the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika if you wish. Then bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until heated through. Serve immediately.


  1. Gosh that sounds yummy - anything covered in mash goes down well here and it looks so pretty!

  2. ooh~~ delicious stuff! happy new year!

  3. Oh I think there is a lot of truth in people feasting with the eyes first! Love your star. Is this like a mushroom goulash? Would be the same kind of taste combinations, wouldn't it? I love mushrooms - I think your pie looks delicious.

  4. ypur pie looks very pretty and yummy! :)

  5. Thank you Mr Pineapple Man.
    Happy New Year to you too.

    Thank you Lou,
    I guess it is similar because of the paprika content, but there are no tomatoes or pepper in this recipe.

  6. Wow! Looks great! I love all your mushroom recipes!

  7. Thank you Sooz.

    Thank you Vegetarian Girl.

  8. Mmm-mmm! I'm going to make this! Looks delicious.

  9. I love me some Paprika! I think I add it to 95% of the dishes I make, but that's a very Chilean thing to do.

  10. Who could resist such a beautiful offering at supper time? Not me,however,my husband finds mushrooms a bit too cleansing for the body.Purchased some adorable 1 serving casseroles to please my palate. I don't know if I can keep up with all these mouth watering recipes you're sending our way but, I'll do my best.

  11. Thank you Heather.
    Do hope you like.

    Thanks Chilean Woman.
    You like your Paprika! I like my chillies :)

    Thank you so much The Hobbit.
    I am so pleased to read you like this.

    You made me chuckle that you purchased some adorable 1 serving casseroles to please your palate. I have to do that sometime when I have a fussy nephew here, who doesn't like tomatoes, mushrooms, etc etc. Kind wishes to you.

    PS did you get my e mail?

  12. Yummy yummy!!! Saving this recipe for sure! Happy New Year!!!

  13. oh, it sounds yummy! *favourited* (and i really need to start making all the great veggie recipes i'm *favouriting* here and on other veggie blogs, sigh...)

    wishing you a fine new year, golden moments, good food, filled with great people and lots of fantastic new experiences!

  14. this sounds delicious! Mushrooms and potatoes, how can you go wrong?

    I am a HUGE fan of smoked paprika, that and Hungarian paprika are my favorite paprikas!

  15. i grew hungarian paprika alongside my serranos this year here in oregon and they were SO SO good chopped and put into food - they never made it into dried/powdered form! bet you could grow them there...

    and i'd suggest veggie broth to go with a veggie dish, but that's just me...the less beef consumption, the better for the planet :)

  16. anything with mash is a hit with me:
    the only vegetable my daughter doesn't like = mushrooms:
    bit of a pain when going to restaurants as yep, it's the 'meaty' option:
    might have to make a one serving like The Hobbit!
    happy & healthy new year to you:

  17. this looks delicious. happy new year to you!

  18. I so love mushrooms! I agree that they are "meat vegetables".

  19. Thank you Danielle.freshquince.
    Happy New Year to you too!!!

    Thanks Pia K.
    Wishing you a fine new year as well!

    Thanks Caren Gittleman.
    It is interesting to read that your a HUGE fan of smoked paprika, I still get overwhelmed by it!

    Oh EcoGrrl.
    Now you are making me jealous, i've only ever mananged to grow chilli peppers and that was on my flat window sill. I don't know if I'd give them a go, as we don't eat paprika as much as we do chilli. shame you do not get to dry them. Happy New Year to you :)

    Thank you Jenny Beattie.
    Happy New Year to you too!

    Thanks chocolategirl64.
    My husband is a huge mash fan, It still reminds me of baby food :)
    Shame your daughter doesn't like mushrooms. Its also a shame as mushrooms is what most restaurants serve as a veggie option.
    Happy and healthy new year to you too:)

    Thank you lena.
    Happy New Year to you!

    Thanks LeLa.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You