Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Vegan Haggis Burgers aka patties

I had some vegan haggis leftover from the weekend. I would have been tempted to follow in the footsteps of fellow blogger Johanna GGG and made some cheesy Haggis nachos for light snacking. But I already had plans for the leftovers in my head. I had already decided on making some vegan haggis burgers, or as some people would them - patties. Its been awhile since I've had a good veggie burger, in fact I can't remember the last time. So this was a good opportunity to make some.

Instead of enveloping my veggie haggis burgers in between two bread buns or a pitta bread, these were served with some Brussels Sprouts hash. The Brussels sprouts hash was excellent, but more about that later.
The burgers were substantive, with bite and chew from the lentils. Golden and crisp on the outside and light and soft on the inside. So much superior than those carpet tile processed burgers found at supermarkets. And just look at them, so much prettier and colourful.
The ingredients are exactly the same as the vegan haggis, the only addition is cooked kidney beans. These kidney beans were mashed and then combined with the other ingredients. This ensured that the burgers held whilst cooking and flipping in the pan and then transferring in one piece to the plate.
Vegan Haggis Burgers or Patties
Makes 8
50g pinhead oatmeal (soaked for 1 hour)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, sliced finely
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 tablespoon Tamari
100g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and grated
100g puy lentils
100g of cooked kidney beans, about 1/2 tin, rinsed and chopped
1x400g tinned cooked kidney beans, drained, rinsed and well mashed
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sunflower oil for shallow frying
Saute onion, garlic and seasoning in the oil until soft. Add the lentils and carrot and simmer on low heat until the lentils are soft, stirring to prevent sticking. The moisture content of the soaked lentils and carrot should be sufficient, but if not add a very small amount of water. Add the mushroom and allow to soften before adding the chopped kidney beans. Add the drained and rinsed oatmeal. Allow to cool before adding in the mashed kidney beans and combine well. Season to taste. Then shape into 6 - 8 burgers and place in fridge for 30 minutes to firm up before shallow frying in vegetable oil. Fry on both sides until golden. Serve warm.


  1. I just had lunch and I am hungry again by looking at these photos!

    I have to say these vegan ones look much more appetizing than the original version of haggis.

  2. :)
    So pleased you like these version.

  3. My veggie burgers never look this nice and they are crumblier. I'll try this recipe. Thanks!

  4. These vegan patties look soooo good! Thanks for the recipe :).

  5. Oooh, these burgers look so festive, like Christmas decorations! I love the dots of colour from the lentils & red kidney beans.
    I've never had any success making my own vegan haggis, so I'm looking forward to giving this a go, your recipes always work so well.
    Hope you're wrapped up warm where you are!

  6. I'm definately going to try these, thanks for the recipe! I've been looking for a good veggie burger recipe for ages :)

  7. Lovely, I love veggie burgers and these look very good indeed. I am looking forward to hearing about the sprout hash.

  8. yum :) funny i am in the UK right now and just went to the market in Canterbury and thought of you when i saw the vegetarian suet on the shelves, heehee. ps i sure came to scotland at the right time! snow was fantastic and got out before the trains shut down!

  9. They look very good - I'm off to try them!!

  10. Hi e.
    I used to have the same problem, not all veggie burgers work, but I assure you this one does. Tried and tested. I hope you enjoy it if you get round to making them :)

    Thank you Charlie

    Thanks littleblackfox.
    I know I too was pleased with the way they looked, but I had not thought festive - liking it!
    Although I've tried this version of vegan haggis, I have two other recipes, so will be giving one of them a go in January for Rabbie Burns Night and see how they compare.

    I certainly am wrapped up warm, just not enjoying trudging into work each day with delayed or cancelled transport links. But I praise them for doing their best for us commuters.

    Thanks sooz.
    Let me know how you find these, if you do geta change to make them :)

    Thanks Kath.
    I will be posting the sprout hash very soon. In fact it should be the next recipe to appear on this blog.

  11. I've been thinking about you EcoGrrl.
    Your timing to come to the U.K is just so perfect _ SNOW!!!!

    Just make sure the suet is suitable for BOTH vegetarians and vegans, NOT ALL ARE.

    i will be over your blog later today, I've jsu thad a manic week time getting to and fro work, that I'm surprised that i've maanged to blog at all this week!

    Thanks you.
    I would love to hear how they turned out for you.

  12. oh i love vegan burgers!
    this recipe is great :)
    thank you for sharing and have a sweet weekend!

  13. I did have the haggis nachos but I love your idea of patties - makes me think I really need to make more haggis - it is just so wonderful - and I agree that home made vegie burgers are so much nicer than those in the supermarket

  14. Thank you Justyna.

    Thanks Johanna,
    Haggis nachos will def. be on the left over haggis menu next time.

  15. How much is a 'pinhead' my Dear?

    1. :) Pinhead oatmeal is not easy to get hold of outside of Scotland, I did however manage to get some in Wales 500g for about £2.00 I think, otherwise just replace with medium oatmeal.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You