Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Home-made Chickpea chips or fries

About a month ago, I stumbled upon a tasty looking plate of snacks. Anna had eaten some chickpea fries at some place in America. These chickpea (or garbanzo) fries looked ever so appealing and got me excited. I just knew I wanted to try them. Obviously, I wasn’t going to jump on a plane, book a table and eat out at this place, the next best option for me was to follow the recipe. Unfortunately she did not have the recipe for them, I also learned later that I wasn’t the only one coveting a recipe for them.

I am not the most confident person in the kitchen, but I thought to myself, as a person who has grown up eating and loving various versions of spiced pakora aka onion bhajis (South Asian chickpea flour fritters) surely I should be able to create some in my own tiny kitchen. Well I set about challenging myself a few weeks ago and am delighted to report that they were a resounding and tasty success.
These chickpea chips were a really good. A nice change from the usual potato variety. I would describe these chickpea chips as a cross between the South Asian spiced pakora and the Italian farinata (chickpea pancake). We had them over a few days, on the first day I just baked them in the oven. On another, I deep fried them in sunflower oil. I actually preferred the deep fried ones, they were much more golden, crisp and even better, had crunch. I wouldn’t eat too many of these though as the soft doughy centre could sit heavy on the belly. I would suggest serving these chips or fries with a light green salad and some red onion rings; or even with a vegetarian chilli. You could even slice them into cubes and call them 'chickpea tofu'.

In the above picture, I have accompanied the chickpea chips with a homemade Jalapeno tomato sauce, which literally just took moments to make with a food processor. I have one regret, the way I have presented the chickpea chips here. I've presented this way before, you may remember the polenta chips. It just does not do justice to these tasty chickpea finger snacks.
If your not keen on the spices and herbs I’ve used, please feel free to vary the spices and herbs to your taste, minced fresh rosemary, thyme, parsley, garam masala, paprika would all work, maybe even, Mustard powder(?).

Chickpea Chips and Fries
You will need a 11 inch by 7 inch tin
½ litre water
1 teaspoon cumin, lightly toasted
1 teaspoon chilli flaked
1 tablespoon coriander (or parsley), minced
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
150g chickpea flour
Sift the chickpea flour if it is lumpy.
Bring the water to a boil, the reduce the heat and begin whisking in the flour and the spices and salt. Stir continuously over medium heat until the mixture thickens, keep whisking otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook this way until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pot.
Pour the hot mixture into a non-stick or lightly greased tin.
Allow to cool. I baked the slab in the oven for 20 minutes, (You can skip this step if you wish and leave it in the fridge overnight to set, but I didn’t want to risk that just in case it did not set). When set, turn out the chickpea slab onto a chopping board. Cut the chips into whatever size you wish: fat chips or slender fries or 'chickpea tofu' cubes.
For a healthy version, lightly coat with olive oil and bake in oven gas mark 6 for 20 minutes; or for a fast food version, deep fry in sunflower oil, wait until the chickpea chips or fries float to the top, they will turn gold a little. Eat and enjoy immediately. These are best eaten warm.


  1. Wow, these look fabulous - and very child-friendly too!

  2. Thank you KitchenMaid.
    Just go easy on the chilli flakes, otherwise yes its child-friendly.

  3. What a great recipe. I love the spices. I have a small chick pea obsession going on at the moment. ;)

  4. Wow, these look amazing! I would love to try them. You didn't have a problem with them falling apart? I've never worked with chikpea flour before...

  5. Thank you briarrose.
    So pleased you like.

  6. You can also make a slightly thin batter out of chick pea with a little salt and chilly flakes to coat your favourite vegetables like sliced zucchini,egg plant,jelopeno etc Deep fry and eat it piping hot....

  7. Thanks Roxan.
    I grew up in a household where chickpea was a staple storecupboard ingredient.

    The chickpea slab here sliced, baked and fried all in one piece, no falling apart at all. Chickpea flour is amazing to cook with and eat. If you've never used it before, I'd encourage you to first make a basic veg fritters. Replace the flour with chickpea flour and then shallow or deep fry.

  8. Thanks Aynzan.
    That is one of my favourite ways of using chickpea batter as flavoured coating for veg. I have to admit I have never done jalapenos though. I will now. Thank you.

  9. Oh that looks fantastic! I had the most delicious chickpea fries on my birthday this year. I look forward to trying this out!

  10. Oh wow! this is exactly the type of food I like to eat at this time of year. Will definitely have to try this one.

  11. Neat! I'm so glad you were able to successfully make some kind of similar treat, and they look really tasty. You know, there is a bar here in Florida called The Queenshead that serves fried chick peas. They are supposed to be great with beer;)

  12. I would love to make these, what a great idea! Chickpeas are one of my favourite things, especially with spicy flavours and am always looking for different recipes :)

  13. Very cool idea! I'll have to try these for sure, they sound wonderful.

  14. Ah just the thing I need. I have a whole heap of chick pea flour lolling about just begging to be used for something and I couldn't think of anything. (A failed chick pea pancake episode didn't inspire- they were terrible!)

  15. excellent! Park Kitchen here in Portland makes them with a squash ketchup - so yummy!

  16. Wow you have such fantastic recipes. Thank you.

  17. Nice! they remind me of the italian Farinata, made with chickpea flour.

  18. Thanks Fred.
    These must be SO popular in the USA, noone in the U.K has yet featured it on their menu or in their cookbooks!

    Thanks Matron.
    Please let me know how you find these if you make them! I really liked them and will def. be making them again.

    Thanks Stella.
    The chickpea chips and fries must be so popular there. Ihave yet to see them make an appearance in the U.K. I did read that they were good were beer - unfortunately I am not much of a beer drinker ;)

    Thank you so much Emma.

  19. Thank you so much Rose.
    Please let me know how you find them.

    Thanks cityhippyfarmgirl.
    Hope you have more success with this recipe, than you did with the chick pea pancake :) Please let me know.

    Thank you so, So much Moogie.

    Thanks EcoGrrl.
    Yes, these must be so popular in the USA and I can totally see why. I am sure its just a matter of time before some celebrity or media cheffy brings them to the attention of the British public and then they will be popular here. Anyway, now I want that recipe for squash ketchup. Do you know of any good recipe links?!

    Thank you Vic!

    Thank You veggiegobbler.

    Thanks Alessandra.
    I agree - almost a cross betweet a Indian pakora and an Italian Farinata, both of which I really like.

    8 December 2010 08:48

  20. you really should be confident about your kitchen skills - you are always coming up with great ideas and delicious recipes - I love this one - will be bookmarking!

  21. Wow.. what a great recipe! All of the recipes I see on your site make me hungry, but I think I'll whip up a batch of these this weekend! Thanks! Niki

  22. Thank you so much Johanna.
    I know I should be, but there is always an element of self-doubt. I'm fine followign a recipe and adapting and cooking food that I have grown up with or am familiar with. But I do wonder sometiems, if I was ever given five ingredients to create a meal (like ready steady cook or Masterchef first challenge), I don't know if i'd be able to come up with something. Maybe I underestimate myself. But I do sincerely appreciate your lovely and uplifting comment. Thank you.

    Thank you so much Niki.
    It is lovely to make your acquaintance.
    Please let me know how you find these if you do make them this weekend. Kind wishes.

  23. Hmm, even I might try them! They look delicious, it's just that I prefer to clean kitty litter boxes to actually cooking. LOL. But I'm a great taste-tester. :-)

    Thanks so much for visiting my Musings blog and leaving a comment on the finished kitty shelter. I'm happy to say the neighbour's cat spent last night in his own house, though, where it was considerably warmer.

  24. yum, it looks like a corn meal polenta but it's not. Perfect!

  25. Thanks for coming by Kea.
    Good to know that its being appreciated by other kitty cats.

    Thanks Damaris.
    I've made a polenta version of these chips too.

  26. Chickpea fries - Great idea! I never had them before, but I love anything fried. Unfortunately for my waistline!

  27. Thank you honeybeecooksjackfruit.
    You can bake these for a slightly healthier version.

  28. Yahy! I love your chickpea chips(fries)! They look amazing and sounds like the fired version is the way to go. I emailed Laurelwood about the recipe but never heard back from them - I will have to send them your post. Also, it's funny commenter ecogrl mentioned something about having them after a different restaurant in Portland - that's where I am too (and where Laurelwood is!). Hah, I guess it's a trend here now. I am going to try making your recipe very soon. I like the spices you've added and the jalapeño flavor!

  29. Thank you so much Anna.A.

    I am so delighted you approve. Please do make them and let me know how they compare. The chips I've featured here are much chunkier, you can cut them a lot more slender and make fries.

    Maybe I should open up a veggie eatery here and start a craze :D

    PS Thank you so much for becoming a follower. It is so kind of you and has humbled me moreso.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

  30. Can I just say how much I love this recipe?? Its looks fantastic!! Ive never seen anything like it before. Its on my to make list before i head back to school!

  31. Thank you Michal.
    Please let me kinow how you find them.

  32. Great idea, love anything with chickpeas in!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You