Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Luscious Strawberry Curd

Last summer when my strawberries were at their most abundant at the allotment plot, I had made my first ever jar of strawberry curd. I was so pleased with myself and with the luscious texture of the curd. With a big smile on my face, I carefully poured the curd into a jar and stored it away in a dark place. Then one weekend, we decided to the strawberry curd with some home-made waffles. With much excitement and a little trepidation, I opened the jar only to be disappointed. I found a blue skin had formed on top of the surface and the curd had turned to a milky dew. Sadly it had to be washed down the sink.

At the time, I didn’t know if I did something wrong, or whether I should have put a waxed disc over it, but whatever I did wrong, it put a dent in my confidence especially as I was still new to preserving, especially with curds. Later I realised, once cooled the jars should have gone into the fridge as the curd has a short shelf life. Well these two jars are definitely not destined for the sink. One has been designated to our fridge to be opened and enjoyed this weekend. The other has been given to our neighbour as a 'Thank you' with the instructions 'keep refrigerated. Once opened, enjoy within the week'.

If you don't fancy the idea of strawberry curd. There are a number of other strawberry recipes on this blog of mine that you may enjoy such as Strawberry cream muffins, strawberry cheesecake muffins, strawberry almond slices and finally a strawberry sorbet, that I pretentiously called strawberry ice roses. You'll see why if you follow this link.
I'm not very artistic, so please be kind with my poor attempt at drawing a strawberry for the label, that's of course if your not too dazzled by the colour of the next picture.
Strawberry Curd
Makes 2 x 454g jars
250g strawberries, hulled and chopped well
185g caster sugar
125 unsalted butter
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 egg yolks
Put the strawberries in a saucepan with the sugar, butter and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Simmer gently until the strawberries dissolve, then remove from the heat.
Lightly beat the egg yolks in a large bowl, then stirring constantly slowly add the strawberry mixture stirring in a thin stream. The mixture will thicken as you add it.
Return to low heat and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow the mixture to boil or the curd will separate. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal while hot. Curd will keep in the fridge for up to two months. Once opened the curd will keep for a week.
UP-DATED: 2013 - a version of this was made by Hannah at Home Baked.  Please follow this link.


  1. This is a new recipe for me.Strawberry curd looks very delicious and love the color of it.

  2. Oh I definitely do like the thought of strawberry curd. I love this recipe. I will be trying this soon. Mmmmmmmmmm, can't wait :P

  3. Oh my goodness, strawberry curd!! Where has this luscious idea been my whole life?! :-) I'm absolutely enthralled by the gorgeous color of your beautiful curd...

  4. Wow!!!! I would love to taste this delicious Strawberry curd :-)

  5. I love the idea of strawberry curd - im going to have to have a go this weekend - if it tastes as pretty as it looks I cant wait!

  6. I'll bet the homemade curd is wonderful!

  7. What a glorious color it is, Mango, and your drawing of the berry is as sweet as I'm sure the curd tastes. And is that a Bob Dylan album I see in the background?

  8. Awww! That is so sad! I am sure these will come out better! :)

  9. So you are not only an excellent gardener and cook but you also have great taste in music. =) Blood on the Tracks is one of my all time favorite albums. Would go well with a bit of that curd, I imagine.

  10. Your strawberry curd looks divine even the package looks really grand too!

    Kisses from Brussels!

  11. What a great idea. I might give this ago next week.
    Thanks for sharing.

  12. I remember you saying about that disappointment as I had no idea that you could make curd with strawberries until you mentioned it. Enjoy every mouthful, it looks delicious. Lucky neighbour.

  13. That sounds lovely. I just recently made lemon curd for the first time which was rather runnier than I was expecting, but I suppose practice makes perfect.
    What did you serve it with? I'm thinking a strawberry meringue pie, or a pavlova? MMm I'm going to have to make this...

  14. I make lemon curd, but I never heard of strawberry curd! What a great idea!!! I wander if with the addition of some citric acid it would last longer...

  15. This sounds wonderful! I wish that I had had the recipe last week when I was wondering what to do with a surplus of strawberries!

    Marie x

  16. Youe strawberry curd looks amazing! We made apricot curd a few weeks ago and it was divine :o)

  17. What a great recipe! I love making all kinds of citrus curds, but have never ventured into other fruits. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

  18. Thanks Kiran.
    The Strawberry curd color is amazing.

    So glad you like Jacqueline.

    Have a go at making some Rachana.
    Then you can taste it :-)

    Thanks Astra Libris.
    So delighted to read that you like!

    Oh freerangegirl.
    I hope you do make it and like it!

    I'll let you know the verdict this weekend Morgan.
    I've only tasted it a little after pouring it into the jar and fingerlicking the pan!

    Thank you Barbara GF.
    It is a loud colour and thanks for being kind about my drawing. I am sure one of my nephew and neices could have done a better job.

    Yeah, that is a Bob Dylan album in the background. Not mine, it belongs to my husband. I borrowed it for aesthetic reasons.

    Thank you Vic aka HayMarket8.
    I have a feling they will to, as i would not have the confidence to give one to my neighbour otherwise.

    Thanks Monica.
    Hands up to being an competent gardener and cook, but 'great taste in music' - mmm not my albums sorry - belongs to my husband, not me. Though I have come to appreciate Bob Dylan over the years, Thanks to my husband of course.

    Thank you so much Sophie.
    Warm wishes from a rainy Scotland!

    Thank you so so much Thrifty Mrs.
    I hope you enjoy it if you get roudn to making some.

    Thank you Kath.
    I am looking forwaard to trying some this weekend. Will give you all the verdict then.

    Hello Emmalene.
    Practice certainly does help, but sometimes once in the jar the curd thickens. So it may be good and thick.

    I haven't eaten any of it yet, just a finger taste test after pouring it into jars. I am hoping tohave it with pancakes this weekiend. Though I must admit your suggestion of a strawberry meringue pie, or a pavlova sounds great. Looks like an excuse to have a party.

    Hi Alessandra.
    I must admit I had not heard of strawberry curd until last year when I was lookign for ideas as to what to do with all the stawberries I was harvesting at the allotment plot at the time. There is also cranberry curd. Another one i'd love to make one-day!

    I've never used citric acid, so don't really knwo if it would work or not. One can only try.

    Thank you so much Marie of Wild Rose.
    Sorry the recipe is a little late for you, but surely you may be able to find some more :D to give this a go!

    Oh Hannah.
    Apricot curd sound lovely too. My husband would love that for sure.

  19. I'm so glad you like Jacob. Thank you so much for coming by my blog.

  20. Thanks for the comment you left on my post, I thought it was quite amazing to find a dragon fly nymph, glad you liked it!

    Your blog looks interesting... I will pop back and have a look at some of your recipes when I get time!

  21. Thanks for coming by Louise.

  22. Never in my life have I heard the use of the word "curd" with anything but whey. Can you explain the texture a bit more to me and why it's called curd? Idiot, American...I know.

  23. Ooh Mango Cheeks! This sounds so awesome, and I love your photos. I've heard and made delicious lemon curd, but never even heard of strawberry curd. Wow! Makes sense though-I suppose one can make curd of any kind...
    I want some (smile)!

  24. I'm drooling! My strawberries are still tiny but will most definitely have this recipe in mind for when they ripen!

  25. Strawberry curd! What a novel idea. It looks beautiful - love the color. I can't wait for it to be strawberry season again so I can give this a try.

  26. oo, yummy. i've just made my very first jars of strawberry curd with strawberries from my lottie. the method i used was different to yours but your recipe seems easier! i will add your method to my recipe list to try another time, if that is ok.

    i find that if curds turn out too runny, if you let them cool then cook again for about 10 minutes they usually thicken up. i've made lemon curd before that's been too runny - even popped it into jars thinking it would be ok, but once reheated it really seems to do the trick. sometimes you can spend quite a while stirring curds but all that effort is totally worth it. they taste AMAZING homemade :)

    i love the strawberry curd though, and will definitely make it again. it tastes of strawberry cheesecake!

  27. Hi there Ribbit.
    I understnad completely where you are coming from, so I am Happy to explain.

    There are two types of curd. The curd that you already know of associated to whey and the other is a thick, soft, sweet and velvety cream that has a wonderful sharp and tart taste. Often spread on toast. Curd is traditionally made with citrus fruits like lemons. However, recently people have been experiment with blueberries, cranberries and strawberries. Just imagine the texture of the lemon in a a lemon meringue pie and that is what this curd is like.

    I hope this helps to some extent.

  28. Thank you so much Stella.
    I'd be happy to share it (smile)!

    Thanks Homebird.
    I hope you like it when you make it. Fingers crossed that your berries ripen soon!

    Thank you Grapefruit.
    I still want to make your carrot biscuits. I will - promise.

    Oh Steph.
    So lovely to hear from you. And Thank you.
    I am so delighted to read that you too have made some 'strawberry curd'. Of course I don't mind. My blog is about sharing and encouraging others to try. So yes, Please do give this method a go and let me know how it differs in taste from the one you've made.

    I think you have described the strawberry curd well - 'tastes of strawberry cheesecake!'. I agree but without the biscuit and cream. :D

  29. I love the idea of strawberry curd. I have never heard of it before...we make lemon curd all the time. I am going to have to try it!

  30. Thanks Caroline of Boho Farm.
    Please let me know how you find it.

  31. My god, what a fabulous idea ! I want to try !

  32. Thanks aurelvelvet.
    Do try it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You