Friday, 18 June 2010

Stuffed peppers - go on give them a chance

Well I was ever so excited to find some British grown peppers in the Co-op today. I just wish the label had stated what part of Britain. Still it was good to note that these were not imported from overseas.

I don't know about you, but for me the vibrant colours of peppers just shout out summer and Veggie BBQs, but I have never been one to enjoy BBQs, namely because I have always been served tile like veggie burgers with limp lettuce and a tasteless tomato or two. Instead of recreating a veggie BBQ vibe in my garden on this clear blue sky, sunny evening, I decided upon making some stuffed peppers.
I know, I know - I can just about hear whats going through your head - stuffed peppers! Stuffed peppers not only raise the eyebrows of omnivores who view it as hippy grub, but raise the eyebrows of vegetarians and vegans too as being terribly old fashioned. But today I just don't care. Old fashioned vegetarian dishes such as these when made well can be wonderful and I know this to be the case because I made some few years ago with brown rice and it was Dee-licious. Even my fiancee, now husband who dislikes the thought of brown rice enjoyed every mouthful and was happy for me to recreate the dish. I just could not remember which cookbook the original recipe had come from, but as one with so many cookbooks finding a recipe for stuffed peppers was not that hard at all.
After eating and enjoying my share, I can tell you one thing for sure. I was the stuffed pepper.
Stuffed peppers with brown rice
Serves 6 - 8
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 medium tomatoes, skinned and chopped
225g long-grain rice, rinsed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pint of vegetable stock
salt and pepper
6 - 8 red, yellow or orange peppers
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons chopped parsley
Extra oil for greasing
Fry the onion in the oil in a medium heavy-based saucepan, then add the garlic and cook gently until the onion is soft. Add the tomato and rice, cook gently for a few minutes. Add the oregano, stock and salt. Bring to the boil, then cover tightly and leave It cook very gently for45 minutes.
Meanwhile , cut the peppers in half length ways and scoop out the seeds. Rinse and dry on a kitchen paper. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. Gently fold in the chickpeas, parsley to the rice and season to taste, then spoon in this mixture into the peppers. Stand the peppers in a lightly oiled tray. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the peppers fell tender when pierced with a skewer. Adapted from Rose Elliots Vegetarian Kitchen.


  1. oohh i have just bookmarked this page as they look yummy, i love peppers !

  2. stuffed peppers are AMAZING! and that's coming from a vegan, haha :D
    love your blog!

  3. I just adore stuffed peppers, but never thought to add chickpeas, nice touch!

  4. you always make my mouth water with your delicious recipes. We've been enjoying red peppers on the bbq (green ones are disappointing and a little bitter).

  5. That sounds delicious! I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the recipe!

  6. Dear Ms. Stuffed Pepper))))....this sounds delicious as all your recipes do. I have not had a chance so far to try them as just found your blog a few weeks back and am trying to keep up with salad am not experimenting much right now.

    Thanks so much though, and.. your blog is just great.

    Did see a recipe using the (cross) rings of peppers...and you put in the fry pan..crack an egg in the middle/center..cook and do a turn over and serve...little Parmesan sprinkled on the top and maybe I would add some herb..basil? Anyway, your pepper sound wonderful so thought I would share this with you in case you had one left))).

  7. Your food looks lovely. That spinach pie, oh my!

  8. I love stuffed peppers! It's funny, I've never thought of them as hippy grub or old fashioned. They are so versatile, you can pretty much throw anything you've got around in there. Your recipe looks especially nice. And you really do have the best photos. You should see if any food magazines would buy some!

    Sometimes I like to slice the peppers lengthwise and stuff the halves, then broil some cheese on top, or a spoonful of tomato sauce and then cheese.

  9. Thank you Scented Sweetpeas.

    Thanks Lauren.

    Thanks Janet.
    I enjoyed the addition of th chickpeas, gave it some bite!

    Thank you Nic.
    I agree the green peppers are a tad bitter, thats why I did not want to use them for this recipe. But they are delicious in South Asian stle dishes. I actually have two left over, so will have to think of what to do with them.

    Than you so much Green Gal.

    Thank you thereisatime.

    Thank you so much Gardeningbren.
    If you do get a chance to try one or two of them, please do let me know. I love reading how other home cooks vary dishes with what they have to hand at home.

    Thanks for sharing the idea of the recipe using the (cross) rings of peppers with the addition of an egg. I like the sound of it and may give it a go in the near future, as I don't think I dont want to attemt them with the bitter green ones I have left.

    Thank you RuckusButt.
    Stuffed peppers do have a poor repuation in the U.K. However I for one am willing to give old fashion food a try with a few tweaks here and there to suit my tastebuds.

    I agree with you peppers are versatile. It could easily be stuffed with cous cous, bulgur, quinoa and even beans.

    I share the photography with my husband. It really is a hobby of amateurs. It does certainly help that we have a good camera(a belated wedding present from both sets of parents last year). There are so many other food bloggers photos whose photographs are far more advanced than mine with professional lighting and timers and would make mine look like what they are homely, but i am content with that and happy to indulge in this hobby as an amateur. But i do sincerely appreciate you kind compliment.

    I like your idea of slicing the peppers lengthwise, broiling/grilling some cheese on top, or a spoonful of tomato sauce and then cheese. I will keep it in mind, perhaps for a snack.
    19 June 2010 04:20

  10. I loved stuffed peppers and they are almost in-season here. As soon as they become less expensive I plan to try your recipe. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

  11. These look amazing. I've been thinking about stuffed peppers lately for some reason. My mom used to make them when we were kids and I loved them then. AND I actually bought a 6 pack of peppers yesterday. I could probably make a variation here. :)

  12. Thank you Mary.
    I am enjoying my day off from work. I really do appreciate my weekends.

    Thanks Julia.
    I do love the versatility of stuffed peppers.

  13. Looks good to me! I don't stuff veg very often, but it is good. I am glad you reminded me. I especially like stuffed mushrooms. Oh, I am hungry now, must go make dinner.

  14. Thank you Jacqueline.
    Funny I was just thinking of you and my NCR entry.

    You and mushrooms - what can I say?!

  15. Oh yum! I love stuffed peppers but am not so keen on brown rice- this looks like a great combo though!

  16. Thanks Fastest Indian.
    Its been a while since i heard from you. Hope your well.

    I remember you mentioning not liking brown rice before, especially in salads.

  17. I think old school veg food when I hear stuffed peppers but they can be so good if done well - and who doesn't love the flavour and texture of brown rice - glad to see you are finding the best of the old school! Just wish that coloured peppers were as plentiful here as they are in the UK

  18. Thanks Johanna.
    Peppers are just coming into season here. These were the first lot I came across, all the others seem to be imported from Spain.

  19. I have a similar recipe like this on my blog, ..;from 1 year ago.

    I so love stuffed peppers with anything flavourfull in them!

    MMMMMMM,..they look so appetizing too!

  20. Thanks Sophie.
    Most of us have eaten them some way or another.

  21. These were very tasty and could be made with all sorts of wonderful variations. I think they would be lovely with black beans and corn in place of the chickpeas, or spinach and a bit of lemon added to the existing recipe. Mind you don't do what I did, and overcook a bit - they fell apart although were still delicious. Thanks mangocheeks.

  22. Thank you so much Judith.
    I agree that these are versatile and could be made a number of variations. I like your idea of black beans and corn.
    PS I think its better that they were overcooked, rather than undercooked :) So pleased you liked the recipe. KInd wishes.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You