Wednesday, 9 June 2010

Two butter bean spreads for good bread

Before I introduce these two little bowls, I have to confess I did not plan to make a butter bean spread, even funny that I made two.

But this is what happened. I had soaked some dried butter beans with the intention of making baked butter beans with onion and tomatoes, except I got distracted with blogging and had forgotten that the beans were bubbling away on the cooker for over two hours. When I finally remembered, the beans were way too soft and not suitable for the planned dish as they would disintegrate. As someone who disliked throwing away edible food, I wondered how I could salvage these, soup maybe. No I had decided on the idea of making two different butter bean dips. Both have been appreciated in the past few days as we have consumed them in pitta bread filled with homegrown salad leaves and Scottish baby tomatoes or spread on good bread.
The first spread was Butter bean with basil.
This was lovely, but from the two I actually preferred the Butter bean, sun dried tomato and parsley flavoured one. Please do have a go at one of these at least. It will be a nice change from butter.
Butter beans, sun-dried tomato and parsley spread
Ingredients
125g butter beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender. Drain and set aside.
2 - 4 spring onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 - 2 tablespoon of sun-dried tomatoes with oil
Juice of 1 lemon
A sprig or two of parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.
Butter beans and basil spread
Ingredients
125g butter beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender. Drain and set aside.
30g basil
1 -2 clove of garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Spread on good bread, pitta bread chips or crisp vegetables such as cucumber, radish and celery.

17 comments:

  1. Hi MangoCheeks, both of these sound good. Funnily enough I was making a butterbean hummus this weekend. I was on a Middle Eastern Mezze course at Rachel Demuth's cookery school and that was one of many dishes that we made - a most excellent course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Choclette.
    Rachel Demuths cookery school seems to be popular. Monica of SmartherFitter was there too recently. Did you go to the one in Bath or the one in France. Look forward to reading more about it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the bean spreads look very delicious.
    Bookmarking these spreads.Will let you know after I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright...don't laugh...but I had to actually google 'butter beans' to know which of the 7 types of beans I make on a regular basis could be named like them. Well, none!
    I had seen this bean before, however did not know the name of it?!? Now that I saw a photo of it...I can appreciate your recipe much more.
    I cook most of my beans from scratch too. I do love spreads...we seem to have a very similar palate.
    Today, I learnt something new thanks to you.
    I'm a multi-tasker too...I've now understood that I can't go without my timer by the stovetop ;o) It's much safer that way!
    Flavourful wishes, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia.
    I did not laugh. When I see recipes from overseas describing beans, pulses and lentils I too sometimes have to google what they are, as we don't all use the same names to describe them. I should have actually showed a photograph of the bean, must keep this in mind for future recipes. So please accept my apology, but Thanks to the internet.

    Re the timer. I did have one, but it hasn't been working for a while. I must get round to replacing it. Next time it could be a burned pot or two. Or worse an over cooked cake!



    Thank you Kiran.
    Feel free to adapt flavours to suit your taste buds. I look forward to reading about your version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both look great. I love bean spreads, I don't know why I never think to use butter beans in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummmmmmmm I love butter beans.. i'm half maltese and in our culture we have a butter bean spread called Bigilla... its usually mashed butter beans or broad beans.. with a bit of olive oil and fresh chilli, lemon juice and fresh herbs... yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those dips look great. I love butter beans, usually have them in the pantry and then just sort of forget to cook with them...will go and put them on the bench top now so I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these spreads sound delicious! Definitely an "unplanned" success.
    The original dish you intended sounds like it would be great too...I love butter beans, but have a difficult time finding them here in dried form.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2 georgous & well tasty appetizing spreads!!

    MMMMM,..I prefer the 1st one: so sophisticated!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, looks like a happy mistake to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like a great save - I have recently made bean dip with pesto and it is a great simple way to eat more beans

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Janet.
    I'm guilty of not using butter beans this way too, it was only by my mistake I ended up with the bean spreads.


    Thanks for sharing a little more about yourself and your cultural and ethnic heritage Carla.
    I do love the sound of Bigilla as it contains ingredients I like, esp fresh chilli, lemon juice and fresh herbs.


    Thanks cityhippyfarmgirl.
    Have you put the butter beans on the bench top!


    Thank you Rose.
    It certainly was an "unplanned" success.

    I am still hoping to make the original dish. Just have to stay on top of the cooking of the beans. Its so strange you have difficulty finding them where you are in dried form. You can find them here everywhere, even supermarkets.


    Thanks Sophie.
    My husband liked the 1st one to!


    Sure was a happy and tasy mistake Kath.


    Johanna, I was pleased to rescue it from being thrown in the bin. I can imagine the bean pesto dip tasting good. So appropriate for the GGG.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll definitely be having a go at these butterbean spreads, they sound delicious.

    P.S. My son was born at Akrotiri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Ann.
    And thanks for sharing. I have to admit I had not heard of Akrotiri whilst in Cyprus.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great blog! I discovered it via The Kind Life and Little House Of Veggies. I too have become enthused about butter beans of late:
    http://peasoupeats.wordpress.com/2010/06/11/fava-and-flatbreads/
    I'll certainly be giving your spreads a whirl, they look yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi PeaSoup.
    Thank you so much for coming by. I know that Morgan has my little blog in the sidebar for which I am honoured, but re the Kind Life (Alicia Silverstone's) - that's new to me. It would certainly be a compliment. Anyway, I am so glad your here and humbled that you like my little blog.

    My fellow blogger Ann (see comment above) recently commented on another entry to say that she made the spread and enjoyed it thoroughly. I hope that you do too. Once again, many thans for coming by. I will be over to have a nosy around yours in a moment.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You