Sunday, 6 June 2010

Chickpea, feta and parsley salad

I've been pottering in the garden today, but unfortunately I don't have any photographs to show you of progress as I got too distracted with the weeding, up-potting and sowing of seeds, but I can assure you its looking good.

I have broad beans, peas, climbing beans, various brassica plants, carrots, beetroot, turnips, chard, lettuces and herbs - all this squeezed into my small garden plot, pots and containers. I promise to share them with you as they grow, especially when I come to harvest them. Right now though, may I share with you this flavoursome Chickpea, feta and parsley salad.
I served this Mediterranean inspired salad with some seasonal Jersey Royal potatoes. It was really good.

Chickpea, feta and parsley salad
Serves 4 - 6 as a side-dish
1 x 400g tinned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and set aside
200ml olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 medium red onion finely sliced, preferably with a mandolin
2 - 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 red chillies, finely sliced with seeds
200g feta cheese, crumbled
4 spring onion, sliced
a handful of parsley, minced
Black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice, then add the onions, garlic, chillies, spring onions and parsley. Stir in the chickpeas and pepper to taste. Finally, crumble over the feta and stir gently to combine. Set aside for an hour or so for the flavours to combine. Then serve.


  1. A stunning salad,..;so flavourful & tasty too!

  2. Hi Mangocheeks, why that's just the prettiest salad I've ever seen! I would love to taste that, it looks very good indeed.

    Thank you for such a lovely comment on my blog. Big Hugs!!

  3. Minus the hot chile...this is a recipe right up my alley. love the freshness accompanied by the creaminess of the feta. Legumes are the bonus.
    I totally get you about the garden. Isn't weeding a real pain ;o) The outcome is however, always worth our loving and caring labour;)
    Thanks for sharing and flavourful wishes.

  4. I like chickpeas but I never quite sure what to do with them. This sounds (and looks) great. I usually eat them couscous, but I need more ideas.

  5. Your salad looks delicious! I have a whole bunch of broadbeans right now that I gor from our local farmers, and I think I am going to fry them up like little fritters this week. I watched Jamie Oliver do it on his show, almost like falafel, and it looked so good! I will be excited to see what you come up with when using the broadbeaqns! I know you will come up with some great ideas though...

  6. That looks so fresh and flavorful!

  7. Oh wow, that looks delicious! I bet that the red chillies give it a good kick.

  8. Mmmmmmmm, lovely salad, just what I would enjoy. It sound like you are feeling better about things now you have a plot of sorts again, in your garden this time. I am glad, I felt so sad for you :)

  9. Fantastic! Funny enough it is quite difficult to find feta cheese in Italy...

  10. This is such a delicious and flavourful Salad!

  11. Thank you Sophie.
    It certainly was favourful.

    Thanks Eve.
    I admit it is quite appealing to the eye.
    And no need to Thank me for my comment. I was just sharing my own life experience. Thank you to you and you husband for sharing some of your experiences.

    Shame you don't like chile - Foodessa aka Claudia, but I am glad your liking the rest of the salad.

    Thanks for your appreciation of gardening.Yes, weeding a nuisance but the rewards are so worth it - that first red berry, that pea/bean eaten straight from the pod :)

    I'm so glad you like the idea of this recipe Mark. I actually think this salad could benefit from the addition of couscous. As for idea with chickpeas, I am full of them. I love my chickpeas.

    Thanks Morgan.
    I've actually made some broad bean falafel last year. And they were delicious. If you type in broad bean in my search bar. It should come up with a number of recipes I made last year. Who knows there may be something there that you may like.

    Thank you so much Janet!

    RGveggie - Yes the red chillies gave the salad that extra boost.

    Thanks Jacqueline.
    Shame I can't enter this is in this months NCR. Its be disqualified as it does not inc. courgette. Ihave to get my cooks head on to come up with a courgette salad recipe.

    Thanks for your kind words - Jacqueline. I am still heart broken about losing my allotmnt plot, and will feel it for a few good months, especially right now as I could have been harvesting rhubarb. I know its growing and it hurts. But on the positive, my energy is not being wasted. I have put that energy into my 'plot of sorts' and your right, it feels so much nicer as its in my own garden.

    Alessandra my blogger friend, you will just have to find some then :D

    Thank you Rachana Kothari.

  12. What a lovely flavorful salad. I found your blog by chance but your recipes kept me here far longer than I planned. I'll be back as often as I can to see what else you've been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

  13. Oh Mary. Thank you.
    But you have been here before.

  14. I definitely want to eat this salad! So healthy, fresh, and delicious looking! :)

  15. Oh goodness...I love chickpeas and this sounds divine. I must try it.

  16. Thank you so much Lisa.
    Also Thank you so much for becoming a follower.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You