Monday, 21 June 2010

Gunsmoke coleslaw

We Brits are never happy with the weather. When it rains we want the sunshine, when the sun shines, we want the rain. There is no pleasing us, but forget about us and our desire for hanging out in the garden and having BBQ's or spilling out onto the streets from pubs or sitting in the beer garden. Think about those plants, vegetables, fruits, flowers and the little creatures - all could do with a sprinking of water from Mother nature to quench that thirst.
I made this coleslaw yesterday, but its not as plain as it appears. In this coleslaw I have included some chipotle peppers. Its both smoky and subtly spiced. If you want a change from the plain mayo variation of coleslaw, I'd recommend giving this a go. If you can't find chipotle peppers, I think smoked paprika would work too. This was served with some Maris peer potatoes which were boiled, drained and then gently crushed with a masher. Before being transferred onto a baking tray, doused in a little olive oil, seasoning and baked in the oven until slightly crisp.
Gunsmoke Slaw
2 tablespoons smooth Dijon mustard
2 - 3 garlic cloves
Pinch of salt
4 dried chipotle peppers soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, then minced
100ml/½ cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
70ml/¼ cup of olive oil
3 carrots, grated
½ white or green cabbage, finely sliced
4 - 6 spring onions, green and white parts, finely chopped
Method
Make the vinaigrette. Mix the mustard, garlic, and salt in a food processor, then blend in the chipotles and vinegar. While the processor pour in the oil slowly and steady stream. Put the cabbage into a large bowl, and add the grated carrots and onion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss well. Taste and add more sauce and salt if your wish. Let the slaw sit for a couple of hours or longer before serving. The slaw will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Adapted from Didi Emmons Vegetarian Planet.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome, you posted this just in time! I am making a portabello burger tonight, and wasn't sure what I would make for the side dish...
    Now I know! I have everything for this at my house! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name! My favorite dressing for slaw is oil and vinegar...this sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coleslaw sounds wonderful.. but what really got my attention was the technique for the potatoes. They would taste fantastic; I have not tried this before.

    Love the smokey chipotle flavor here also...))) We use the peppers in adobo sauce from Mexico..comes in small tins...and once open, I freeze that and break off the peppers in sauce...when we need it... as the recipe requires.

    Thanks for this inspiration and the recipe for the coleslaw. Great photographs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this~healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks brilliant. I love chipotle anything and have an abudance of dried peppers at the moment. What a great idea.

    Thanks for the tips on slugs btw...so far I haven't seen any but we've been inundated with rain so I'm sure they will be creeping around soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will certainly be making it's way to my dinner plate soon! Looks great & I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very interesting twist on a sidedish I love to prepare often.
    Thanks for sharing and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Morgan.
    And for the kind link to the recipe on my blog. I've had so many hits recenty!


    Thanks Rose.
    The name I think it the best part! I like simple salad dressings too, but sometimes its good to experiment.


    Thank you Gardeningbren.
    I love roast potatoes. This was a much healthier alternative.

    I really liked the smokey chipotle flavor. I've used peppers in adobo sauce once, the jars here are so expensive. I will keep in mind your tip as chances are i'll either make my own or buy a jar.


    Thank you Anncoo.
    It certainly is healthy, unlike some of my other recipes!


    Thanks Christine.
    And you are so welcome re the tips on slugs. I am sure you will see them soon, they are never too far away.


    Thanks Fred.
    I think you will like it!


    Thank you Claudia.
    It the chipotle addition that tempted me to try it. I have come to like the sokey flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl i am back!!! Alive and kicking! I just returned from 2 hours training (karate...) i am exhausted...and hungry!!! And have nothing NOTHING to eat!!! And i saw this recipe... the small crunchy potatoes.... and the salad... slourp!!!! Can i blog it forward??? i can feel the taste in my mouth! (sorry for my bad English once again!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog. It mad me smile big time.

    Anyway, first to say Thank you and secondly, Yes of course you can blog it forward!

    PS Your English is so much better than my Greek! So please don't feel like you have to apologise, because you don't.

    Have a lovely weekend - your Karate Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi There, This coleslaw looks absolutely great! I am indeed a slaw fan, although I've never made any myself. My husband does one similar to yours, and he adds raisins to it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Eve.

    I didn't think I would like it, but now I actually like to add raisins too.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You