Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Purple Kale

I have to admit when I picked up this beautiful bunch of purple kale at the weekend, I had grand ideas of making a big bowl of purple kale chips to enjoy in front of a movie. I had discovered kale chips 3 years ago and absolutely adored them. It is perhaps my preferred way of eating kale.

Oh actually there is another way that may interest you. In one of the cookbooks I have, the kale chips recipe is taken a step further. Once the kale chips are made, cool them on a rack. Then whizz them in a food processor briefly either to rough flakes or ground fine, like pepper. You can then use the ‘kale flakes’ or ‘kale pepper’ to sprinkle over roasted vegetables, soup or even popcorn, it’s a bit like the toasted seaweed nori really, just more flavoursome. Well neither of the above recipes were enjoyed at the weekend as the working week was upon us rather quickly. Instead I made a 'Purple Kale tart'. It was inspired by a recipe I had seen at the dentist. Let me explain, a couple of weekse ago whist waiting for my check-up, I had picked up one of those lifestyle magazines. Like a football fan interested only in the recent sports coverage, transfers and so on found in the back pages of tabloids; and in my case to avoid benile WAG and celebrity gossip, I too go straight to the last few pages, where you tend to find recipes.

I remembered one particular photograph leaping out at me. It was a pizza topped with glossiest sauteed kale and sharp white feta cheese. It looked really good to me. Now had I a pen, I would have jotted the recipe down; or dare I admit slowly ripped the recipe page out, but as there were a number of people also waiting for their dental appointment, periodically glancing up and down, I dare not. Instead I decided to look over the recipe and convince myself that it was actually a rather simple recipe and one I could easily remember. So I logged some of the ingredients in my head, the quantities of course I would have to work out according to taste. So this is my take on that sauteed kale pizza, except mine is not a pizza - more of a tart.
As I had cooked this dish today straight after work, I was too lazy to ‘knock up’ a pizza base from scratch. In its place I used an ingredient that can always be found in my fridge: a packet of ready-made puff pastry. I rolled it out to fit and 8 inch round cake tin. Roughly chopped the purple curly kale and sliced a medium red onion. Then I added this to a frying pan with some good olive oil and sauteed. When the kale began to wilt, I seasoned it with a little pepper before spreading it evenly over the puff pastry base. To end I crumbled some feta cheese, (can be omitted for vegans). Then baked it in the oven at gas mark 6 for 25 – 30 minutes.
The purple kale still retained its vivid colour. The kale itself was both soft and crisp. I think some sliced black olives would have enhanced the flavour a touch more, but that's up to you. When I was a child, I really disliked black olives. Oh how our tastes change.
If you like the look of this savoury purple kale tart, and are liking the theme of 'purple' please take a peek at my sweet lavender hearts, lavender lemonade, purple cabbage potato cakes and finally some purple blueberries. They may just inspire you. Enjoy the rest of your day.

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog.

    I love kale, although I can't remember whether I've ever eaten purple kale. This tart looks so good; anything made with puff pastry is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe is so simple, but sounds like something I would love! I've been meaning to go buy some more kale for kale chips and now I think I will need to buy an extra batch for this tart :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! Kale chips sound really interesting and tasty. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple kale tart looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love kale, it is one of my favorite leafy greens. This pizza looks like such a creative way to prepare it. I bet it would be great for a potluck dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmmmm. I love the look of that tart. I used puff pastry today too. It is rather handy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is extremely impressive! what an amazing recipe for a healthy veggie!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kale, simply steamed, with a vinegar/oil dressing, is our favorite - and the red (Russian) kale is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so pretty and tasty, what a great idea to use kale. I also adore kale chips, I think they are addictive;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I move in with you?? :) You really are a cook after my own heart. If you haven't already, can you post your kale chips recipe sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm checking out your blog and both your mushrooms and your kale dish look soooo good, you're going to have to change your name to purple allotment 2 kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tart! Looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tried kale chips...I think I would prefer the pie, just look at it , it seems wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had purple kale but it's absolutely beautiful! This looks very heart and delicious. :)

    On copying recipes from magazines - do you happen to have a camera in your cell phone? I often take several up-close pictures of the recipe page with my cell phone if I'm in a place like a doctor's office. Then I can go back over them and write it down. Works like a charm, and the best part is it's really easy to pretend you're texting or something. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for coming by mine Lisa.

    Puff pastry is a wonder ingredients. I use it a lot, esp for after work meals.


    It is a simple recipe Carissa.


    Thanks Green Gal.


    Thanks Kiran.


    Thanks Ms Meanie.
    Yes, I guess it would be good for a potluck dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jacqueline.
    Puff pastry where would we be without it :)

    Thank you so much for your comment Katherine of whataboutsummer.


    Thanks Kate.
    I've never had the red (Russian) kale. I will keep an eye out ofr it, or think about growing it next year.


    Thanks Janet.
    I so agree - kale chips are addictive.
    A good thing I guess as they are far more healthier than potatoes.


    Oh what a lovely comment RuckusButt. Mmmm I would have to ask my husband :)

    The link for the kale chips recipe is actually on this post. Its in the first paragraph. You can also find a number of variations on the internet too. I hope you enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
  17. ~Thanks Pacheco Patty.
    Purple allotment 2 kitchen! Liking it.
    I'll think about it :D


    Thanks Morgan.


    Alessandra - do give the kale chips a go, they really are lovely. I think your little ones would approve too!


    Thanks Mo.
    Shoudl you ever see purple kale - I instruct you to pick it up and try :) It may be the start to a new love affair!

    Really appreciate your tip on copying recipes from magazines. I honestly woukld never had thought of it. Your so IT savvy. I will keep that in mind for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your strawberry curd sounds just delicious and I will definately be trying that. Also I've never tried kale chips, so something else I'll have to discover, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely tart - I love finding recipes in waiting rooms but it is always a dilemma about how to capture them - if you start writing them out or tearing the page out you can be sure you will be called at that moment!

    and I now wish for some of that purple kale - looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kathy.
    I am so glad that you like both. Thank you.


    Thank you Johanna.
    Yes, it is a dilemma how to capture them. One of my readers (above)suggested taking my mobile phone with me and using the camera on it to capture recipe. Quite a good idea.

    The purple kale is fabulous. I haven't seen any at the grocery stores. May have to go back and get some more this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love kale and this looks really yummy, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You