Tuesday, 3 November 2009

Purple and Green Cabbage Potato cakes

Cabbage is a member of the Cruciferae family. It is related to broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collards and kale.
There are three major types of cabbage: green, red and Savoy. The colour of green cabbage ranges from pale yellow to dark green, while red cabbage has leaves that are either crimson or purple with white veins running through it. Both cabbages are beautifully packed with layers of tight leaves - natures natural wrapping, protecting each from the sunlight.
These individual potato cakes are essentially individual bubble and squeak cakes. The only difference is I have made these with both Minicole, a green cabbage and Marner Early, a red cabbage which to my eyes is more purple than red, even more so when prepared like this. If you want a really vibrant purple potato cake, make these potato cakes in advance and let them sit in the fridge for two days, the colour of the red cabbage will drain and have been absorbed by the potatoes. So when you cut into it you will have a purple potato cake. I know this because I made enough potato cakes to last us a few days, and when it came to consuming the final lot, they were beautifully purple. The taste remained the same.
I think this is my favourite way to eat red cabbage, maybe…just maybe it will become yours too.
Cabbage Potato Cakes
Makes about 8
2 tablespoons olive oil and extra for shallow frying
2 small cabbages, one red and one green, cut into quarters, then sliced thinly.
700g potatoes, peeled. cooked and mashed and allowed to cool down and divided into two bowls.
2 small onions, finely sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
In two separate pans, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and soften in each onions and cabbages, until translucent and cooked through. Turn off heat and allow to cool. When cool, add the cooked cabbages to each potato bowl, combine well and season to taste. Then shape into individual round cakes. Cover and chill for an hour or more. When ready to eat, heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. Add the cakes and fry over medium high heat for about 5 minutes on each side until crisp and golden brown.


  1. This sounds yummy and healthy - and inexpensive to boot!

  2. I love bubble and squeak but never make it, why is that? I think it often falls apart or burns on the outside but you've inspired me to try again. And I have 2 cabbages to use up in the fridge and it's not exactly coleslaw weather is it!

  3. Wow! This post is very interesting!!! I've never heard or thought about cabbage potato cakes before but it sounds really good. I usually use cabbages for stir-fry or coleslaw. I've learned something new from you again, thanks! The best part is that it sounds so easy for me to give it a try:)
    p.s. Thank you for your reply from your older posts:)

  4. I agree it should be called purple cabbage not red - these patties look delicious and the white and purple look lovely together

  5. These patties look delicious. I love cabbage, i think they would go perfectly with a salad.


  6. Ooh yum. Have only just stumbled across your blog and am really enjoying the down-to-earthedness of your recipes.

    I might actually try this tonight - I have some left over cooked potato in the fridge, as well as some red cabbage that needs eating. I think I might roughly mash some cooked beetroot in there too...

  7. Thank you so much Alta and Thank you for visiting my blog. It is most appreciated.

    Just make sure you get good potatoes that mash well. I have always found Maris Piper good. The beauty of these potato cakes, and most of the ones I make is that I have never had to use egg to hold them together. And your right its not coleslaw weather!

    Hello there Oraphan,
    I am so glad you enjoyed reading this post and even more touched that you've learned something
    from it. Please do give them a try and make sure you have good potatoes that mash well!

    Hi Johanna and Thank you.
    I am so glad you agree with me that red cabbages should be called purple cabbages.

    Hi Rose,
    Now that is a combination I would not have thought of: cabbage cakes with salad. How interesting. You do make me think outside of the box sometimes.

    Welcome to my blog Mary and Thank you.
    I am so pleased and humbled that you like my blog and the recipes.

    If you do try these out, I hope you like them as much as I did. Your addition of cooked beetroot sounds brilliant too. More flavour and colour, why not!

  8. Thank you so much Astra Libris.

  9. I love cabbage--these look delicious!

  10. Thanks Michele. They certainly were delicious.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You