Sunday, 22 November 2009

Chive Potato Balls

Most of us are familiar with the herb chive. Chives have that delicious pungent flavour which can only be associated with herbs of the allium family. The others being garlic and onions.

There are a variety of chives. The most common variety of chives is allium shoenoprasum and these chives have the beautiful purple - pink globular flowers and the green stem is mostly used for culinary purposes. This particular chive is perhaps the most versatile and the most delicate. They give a light, fresh hint of onion to whatever they garnish. The flower heads are also edible and often served as garnish on soups and salads. Then there is Chinese Chives, Pink Chives, and garlic chives also a hardy perennial, with white flowers in the summer.
Chives are very easy to cultivate and make a wonderful addition to the herb garden but equally, chives can be used as border plants and will create a very attractive feature, especially when the chives flower with pink in the summer. They are also ideal to grow in pots. Another great benefit of growing the chive is it attracts beneficial insects such as bees to your garden. Bees are essential for pollination of our fruit and vegetables.

In my student days I used to buy a lot of dried herbs, especially ones for soups that contained dried carrots, onions, and chives. I have to say that I don’t think dried chives do the real flavour any justice. So now would strongly recommend using fresh chives both for flavour and the colour. A good few years ago, I picked up a handy tip to preserve chives (or any other herb) longer. If you chop them fresh and freeze them in ice cube trays, they can be available at any time for cooking, but to be honest I have never ever done this, mainly because my freezer space was and still is limited.
As a vegetable and herb grower, one of the best tips I learned was to occasionally divide the chive plant, this would rejuvenate it every year, after all it is a perennial, and everything we can do to make it stronger and taste better is a bonus for the kitchen cook.
These chive potato balls were made with fresh chive growing in my garden plot. There were even a couple of lilac flowers still blooming. I think these chive potato balls would be great as buffet food. You could make a tray full, then reheat in the oven for 10 minutes.
I am submitting this recipe into this weeks Weekend Herb Blogging#210. This weeks host is Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen. The weekly food blog event showcases information and recipes about herbs, vegetables, fruits and other plant ingredients. WHB was first initiated by Kalyn's Kitchen, it is now organized by Haalo of Cook (Almost) Anything At Least Once.
Chive Potato Balls Aka Little Green Potato Balls
Makes around 12 - 15
Ingredients
675g potatoes
8 tablespoons of chopped chives, or a combination of chives and parsley
4 tablespoons of seasoned wholemeal flour
1 egg, beaten
Dry breadcrumbs as necessary for coating
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Method
Boil the potatoes in their skins in lightly salted water until they are tender. Peel and mash them while they are still warm. Beat in the herbs. Make the potatoes into small, round balls about the size of a gold ball. Roll them in the flour and then coat them in the egg and then the crumbs. Allow to set in fridge for at least an hour before deep frying them in hot oil until golden. Adapted this recipe from Gail Duffs Vegetarian cookbook

13 comments:

  1. mmm like the look of these, i have a feeling they are dangerously moreish - i really like chives. Do you think they would work with some cheese in them as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all perfect in size and shape - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your whb submission! I am happy to know of your blog now...I love it!
    The photo of the chives is beautiful and these look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Goodshoeday,
    Its so good to hear from you.
    They are moreish and ever so light to eat.

    Yes, I do think some cheese in them would work well, just not too much.



    Thank you Nicisme.
    They almost look like white truffles.


    Oh Winnie,
    Welcome and Thank you so much for your kind words. It makes me so happy when I learn that other bloggers like my blog, it is always a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look really tasty Mangocheeks. I want to reach in and grab one.... or two, or maybe them all, while you aren't looking. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another keeper, thanks for posting about this recipe.

    I also grow quite a lot of chive and split mine every third year and did so this year and made many freecyclers happy.

    In the early spring I am a wash with chive, so always do a harvest at that time, chop them up with scissors and store in the freezer in large ziploc bags. I generally get a second bumper harvest late summer/ early autumn but this year maybe because the plants were split and the summer was so dry I didn't get a second harvest for storing and using through the winter.

    I am also still using fresh from the plants as the autumn has been so mild, what I got in the spring will hopefully last the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jacqueline.
    They were nice and light to eat.


    Thanks Kella.
    One of the best things about growing your own is sharing, especially when you have excess. I too am still using fresh, but the days are numbered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So tasty looking and interesting! I have some chives in my garden, so thanks for the reminder of dividing them. I decided last summer that I'm going to start growing more herbs mixed in with perennials, and I think chives could be pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Kalyn.
    I think that is a super idea mixing the herbs with the perennials. Constant colour and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Popping one, popping two, popping three....oops, not enough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so good! This is going on my "must try" list :o) Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope to see you around more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Marillyn.
    Thanks Tigerfish.
    Thanks Michele.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You