Friday, 6 November 2009

ultimate dunkable carrot biscuit

Carrots - Bugs Bunny’s favourite food hardly needs an introduction as it is well known by even the smallest child. The health benefits of carrots are also legendary. Many of us have been told that eating carrots would keep your eyesight bright and allow you to see better in the dark.

Carrots belong to the Umbelliferae family, named after the umbrella like flower clusters that plants in this family produce. Carrots are related to other vegetables such as parsnips and fennel; and herbs such as caraway, cumin and dill. The carrot is a plant with a thick and fleshy root. It grows underground and has feathery fern like green leaves that emerge above ground making it easy for one to pull out with ease. There are over 100 different varieties of carrots that vary in size, flavour and colour. While we usually associate carrots with the colour orange, in fact, carrots grow in various colours including white, yellow, red and purple, the latter being the original colour. This year I have grown: Kuttiger; Autumn King; Baby; Chatenay, Rainbow, Yellowstone, Purple Haze and Resistafly.

Over the past few months I have eaten carrots in a variety of ways: simply shredded raw in salads, as a nutritious soup, as crudit├ęs and even in recipes such as mosaic carrot and green bean pie, courgette, baby carrot and mint flan, carrot and runner bean flan, and even a rainbow carrot cake, some of which I would encourage you to try. This time however, I decided to make some biscuits with a purple haze carrot (which was orange on the inside), as well as turn them into carrot shapes. Well how else was I going to get your attention?! I think even Bugs Bunny would approve!
I am submitting these to Weekend Herb Blogging#208 or WHB as it is fondly known by. The weekly event was originally founded by Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen and now coordinated by Haalo of Cook (almost) Anything. Haalo is also our host this week. This week there 's a bit of difference too as Weekend Herb Blogging celebrates its 4th birthday (Hip hip hooray) and with that it gets a brand new logo, which I will soon be showcasing in my sidebar. I am so grateful to WHB as it gives me the opportunity to showcase my food made with my home-grown produce. Thank you WHB.
So why carrot shapes, some of you may be asking or maybe not, but I am going to tell you anyway. I am not a tweeter, my life is pretty uneventful to sign up to that, plus I can barely text (really). But I do like reading other food blogs, bloggers comments and exchanging ideas. It was a comment by a fellow blogger on my lavender scones, that prompted me to make squash scones in the shape of pumpkins, which then made me think even more creatively when I came to make these carrot biscuits, hence the carrot shape (made without a cookie cutter). I do enjoy reading your comments, so please do continue share your thoughts and inspire.
Apple and Carrot Biscuits
Makes about 12 - 16
Ingredients
225g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
150g unsalted butter
100g golden caster sugar
50g carrots, grated (I used purple haze)
25g eating apple, grated (I used British Spartan)
Method
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the grated carrot and apple into the flour mixture, then fold into the creamed butter. Knead to a soft dough. Rest for half an hour in the fridge. When you are ready to cook the biscuits, roll out into 1/2 thick and mark into wedges or use a cookie cutter. Fork over the dough and bake on a non-stick surface for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool before cutting.
I have seen various carrot and apple shortbread recipes recently, but I originally came across this culinary combination a few good years ago in Tamasin Day-Lewis (yes Daniel Day-Lewis’s sister) cook book Good Tempered Food on which my recipe is based. These were not so much as shortbread, but more biscuity and crumbly nonetheless.

15 comments:

  1. Fab biscuits! I really like the look of them, I bet they are very moreish too. I make a mean carrot cake, I think I might have to give your biscuits a try.

    Have you shared your biscuits here yet? http://biscuitencounters.wordpress.com/

    RO :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive never had any carrot except for the ordinary orange carrot. The biscuits are adorable!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! Not only looks cute, but good for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Rothschild Orchard!

    I will check out the blog you recommended. I always like having a nosy round for inspiration.


    Rose,
    Maybe you shoudl think about growing some of your own colourful carrot. You can grow them in pots or large tubs.



    Nicisme. So True - good to look at and good to eat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so fantastic, just brilliant! Thanks also for joining in with WHB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Haalo.
    It is always a pleasure to participate in WHB, especially in its Birthday celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those carrot shapes are fantastic - now I am inspired to try your carrot biscuits just to shape them like yours - I was thrilled to find purple carrots in a local shop lately and now I wish I had used them like this - maybe next time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Johanna.
    I hope you enjoy and perhaps put your own little twist on the carrot cake too.

    Purple carrots are great for certain things, like these biscuits and salads, but I would strongly advise people not to use them solely for soups. The result will be very, very muddy and not particularly pleasant to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried a carrot biscuit, although I love carrot cake, Mango. I like how creative you were in shaping them and then photographing them with the carrot tops.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Barbara. Sometimes I even surprise myself :D The carrots tops were actually my husbands idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very charming! And they sound very tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your carrot-shaped biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Kalyn.


    Thanks Graziana. I was delighted with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of the carrot biscuits and have copied and saved the recipe for later in the year when I can harvest my own carrots. The shape and the carrot foliage just makes the photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Sandra.
    I agree the carrot foliage does make the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen