Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Almost pretty as a picture

well I did say almost. I got carried away by the rainbow carrots! Honest. This recipe is similar to the 'Courgettes, baby carrots and mint flan' I made early this month. Except in place of the courgettes that are starting to finally dwindle at the plot, I have used some runner beans. Yes, I know the flan looks like some 1980's women's magazine recipe, but I like these recipes. Quite simple to make and tasty.
I am showcasing this Carrot and runner bean flan on Grow your own (GYO), not because I am particularly proud of it, but because I want to make people smile and remind them, that some of the tastiest grub we eat are made with the most humblest of ingredients. GYO is a twice a month blogging event which was started by Andrea of Andrea's Recipes. I've said it before, and I will say it again, I think it is a great food blogger event as it also supports the principle behind my blog that celebrates the fruit, vegetables and herbs we grow and the dishes we make using our homegrown produce, plus it is a good opportunity for me to raise A2Ks profile in the blogging world too. GYO#33 is being hosted by MomGateway. Check out MomGateway's Healthy Carrot Zucchini Walnut Bread. One I may just have to try out myself with my homegrown carrots and courgettes.
Carrots and runner beans flan
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 - 3 medium carrots, chopped
100g runner beans, chopped
150ml milk
1 medium egg
1 teaspoon of lemon thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Method.
Make your own pastry recipe according to instructions. When ready leave aside to cool.
Steam the runner beans, until cooked through, then drain and leave to cool. Soften onion in olive oil without browning for about 10 minutes, then add the carrots and cook 10 minutes, then add the runner beans and stir to coat. Spoon the onions, carrots and runner beans evenly into the flan case. Whisk the milk with the egg, lemon thyme and seasoning. Pour into the flan case. Bake on gas mark 5 for 30 – 35 minutes until set.

This recipe is an adaptation from one of Rose Elliot’s earlier books Complete Vegetarian Cookbook

2 comments:

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You