Friday, 20 November 2009

Marrow cream petals and more

A little while ago, I made a jar swap with Nic of Nip it in the bud. I had not opened my marrow jar and lovely Nic has been asking me have I tried it yet? what do I think? and do I like it? I have a small kitchen with a small fridge that was bulging, so I was waiting for one jam jar to empty and make room for another, well it finally happened. I was able to open and taste the marrow cream and I was not disappointed.
It is thick, spreads like butter, luscious and zingy. The mild citrus flavour lingers in your mouth for awhile. I absolutely loved it. Thanks to Nic, I will be growing marrows next year, only to make some of my very own marrow cream.
Also after reading Anns comments to my most recent gift exchange, I also decided to open a jar of the mulled wine plum jam, and oooh it smells like the Christmas season. I got the idea to make these tartlet casings into petal shapes using a cookie cutter after seeing a savoury version of them on another bloggers blog. These little tartlet cases are so versatile, you can even fill them with cream and curd or both.
By the way, when I came home from work this evening, guess what was waiting for me?! This little chicken may not lay eggs, but I adore her. Thank you Ann.
By the way Ann is willing to swap some other lovely home-made gifts with home-made delights, so check out the basket and follow this link if your interested. Both the crafts pictures are taken from Ann's blog Calico and cards.

For the mulled wine plum jam and the marrow cream recipe aka lemon surprise spread, please follow the links.
Petal tartlet cases
Makes about 10-12 small tartlet casings
Ingredients
180g plain flour
90g softened butter
50g icing sugar
a egg yolk
Method
Combine the flour, sugar and butter by hand as I do (or in a food processor) until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add the egg yolk, then a little water to make a firm dough. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for about 20 minutes. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut into circles or require shape. Line individual tart tins. Prick the bases all over with a fork, then bake at 4 - 5 for about 15 minutes until just starting to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before filling with your choice of jam, curd or flavoured cream.

7 comments:

  1. Your marrow cream and jam petals look not only delicious but very pretty! Your pastry looks very nice too, just like on Master Chef. Love that marrow cream and intend making more myself next year too

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute tartlet cases and yummy jams - so great to exchange with others - yay for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm.....Those look Fabulous! Maybe some kind of pumpkin and cream cheese in those cute little tart flowers! Always good ideas I find here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay, I'm so glad you like it ;o) your petal tartlets are such a gorgeously simple idea. I have one marrow left and was wondering whether to make a final batch of lemon surprise - I shall now as I'll have another way to recommend using it. thaanks MC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ann.
    I was pleased with the way the pastry tartlets turned out.

    Once again Thank you so much for the gift exchange.


    Johanna.
    Yay to blogging. I will drink to that.


    Thanks Jenn.
    Pumpkin and cream cheese sound good too.


    Thank You to You Nic for the marrow cream. Finally I got to taste it and I really do love it. Yum yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really want to make marrow cream now - will have to wait impatiently for next year to do it though - and remember to grow some marrows. Your pastry tarts are so pretty - warm with a spoonful of clotted cream is how I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Choclette,
    I know what you mean.
    Next year we should compare notes.
    I like the idea of clotted cream.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You