Thursday, 12 November 2009

Roasted caROOT soup and carrot scones

I know, I know there is nothing special about carrot soup, but it is one of my favourite soups, especially when made with an herb such as coriander or parsley.
But for this one, I decided to keep it really plain which I know is not a winning dish, but for me this time it is about the flavours of my home-grown carrots. In separate baking trays, I roasted 75% of orange carrots to 25% of purple carrots in olive oil with a little seasoning. When soft, I allowed it to cool down, blended them separately with vegetable stock before re-heating in separate bowls.

I would not recommend making carrot soup just with purple haze carrots. I personally found the flavour too overpowering. It will also leave the carrot soup looking very muddy, not appealing to the eyes or the taste buds. I think it just works combined like this together. A little is better.
To make this soup a little special I decided to accompany it with some carrot scones – yes, I am still tinged with my creative streak from the lavender scones and squash scones. These are not dense over sized scones, they are light and compliment the soup well.

Carrot scones
Makes about 8 - 10 scones
Ingredients
100ml milk
1 medium carrot, grated
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g cold butter, chopped
50g cheddar cheese, grated
Method
Sift together flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the butter and using your fingertips, rub together until crumbly. Add cheese and milk to the flour and combine well. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently roll out about 2cm thick. Cut into required shapes. Optional: in the last 5 minutes, sprinkle with extra cheese if you wish before returning to the oven to brown and crisp.

8 comments:

  1. mmm, delicious, simple is best sometimes. Is this your entry for this month's NCR or are you still playing around with ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever tried purple carrots. I take it from what you say that they do taste different? And possibly not as nice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi yah I'm back, just popped in to say hi properly. I have been reading your posts all the this time so I haven't missed anything.

    I even passed on your blog details to a forum I'm on to share you recipe ideas and your blog is a big hit with these new readers, so keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm - I used purple carrots in soup recently and found the soup was very intense - maybe it was the different flavour of the purple carrots - I had lots of other things in the soup too so didn't consider that

    love those carrot scones - they look like proper scones to me - really light and easy to make - will bookmark to try

    ReplyDelete
  5. The carrot scones sound interesting and yummy! Ive had pumpkin scones before and really enjoyed them.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nic.
    I haven't forgotten about NCR, so many seasonal root vegetables to choose from, so Yeah I am still thinking. I think NCR entries have to be in by the 20th, so I still have plenty of time.


    Hello Choclette,
    Please don't let this put you off. I would recommend eating purple carrots, just not blended as a soup. I think they are great in salads, even in pies and quiches, just not blended to a puree - the flavour for me was just too intense! So please do give them a go, should you see them. They def. taste different to the orange variety.


    Hi yah Kella and Welcome back.
    You have been missed. Thank you so much for raising awareness of my blog, it is most appreciated. I look forward to hearing from some new bloggers. As always thank you for your kind words and support.


    Hi Johanna,
    Yeah, I did see your contribution to this months NCR with the addition of the purple carrots. I was so glad for you that you came across some purple carrots to try.

    I hope you enjoy the carrot scones when you get round to making them.


    Thank you so much Rose.
    I like pumpkin and squash scones too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. squash scones sounds like something different. I guess you could put almost any type of veggie in scones couldnt you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,
    I think most fruit and veg would work, you just have to experiment and adjust if the ingredient is too wet or too dry.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You