Tuesday, 24 November 2009

Oriental treats

One of the students where D works (now and again), had graduated and left some treats in the kitchen as Goodbye and goodwill gesture. Because these savoury sweets were unusual to him, D decided to bring a handful back home for me to try.

I didn't want to eat any of them as I thought they were very cute in their individual wrappers.
But at the same time I was curious to see what they looked like underneath and how they tasted. So there we were, slowly unwrapping them and then inspecting them closely – they were actually pieces of Japanese rice crackers stuck together duh. Then we took a bite, our brains somewhat thinking that the soy sauce or tamari coating was somehow going to taste of popcorn caramel, well for anyone who had had rice crackers will know that the taste is completely different. For me they are a bit of an acquired taste, but like this they are very cute.

9 comments:

  1. They are very cute, too cute to unwrap definitely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are far and away the cutest rice crackers I've ever seen. And I consider myself a rice cracker fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are certainly very cute wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look like they are just too good to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. japanese food is definitely an acquired taste to the western palate. we had students to stay with us when I was a child and the sweet treats given to host families were not easily swallowed. I seem to recall swallowing hard and smiling weakly on more than one occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen rice crackers packaged like that, Mango. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for all your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are too cute, I won't eat them! I used to live in Japan for 9 months, they always have amazing wrappers for almost everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing that Oraphan. As I had never seen anything like this in the U.K. The student must have brought them with him from Japan.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You