Saturday, 14 November 2009

Drying sunflowers

It was a very short visit to the plot today as I had other distractions. These are sunflowers in my greenhouse drying: for the little birdies you see. There is a reason why the sunflowers are up in the air and face down. In the past the little mices have got to the seeds before me, so this is my way to stop them. So far it seems to be working. Whilst at the plot, I managed to pick some stems of chard for this frittata we had for a late lunch.
Interesting colour don't you think?
We have enough left over to eat cold, perhaps even take over to the allotment tomorrow, when I hope to spend more time there (fingers crossed that it's not raining).
Potato and Chard Frittata
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients
4 spring onions, sliced
4 – 6 large chard leaves. Stalk finely sliced and leaves shredded
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 large potato, sliced preferably with a mandolin
50g cheddar cheese, grated
6 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Place the chard stalks and potato slices in a frying pan* with the olive oil and cook until the vegetables are cooked through. Stir in the shredded chard, onions, garlic and season well for a few minutes until the chard leaves start to wilt. Pour the beaten eggs along with cheese over the mixture. Cook over low heat for a few minutes; or until the bottom of the mixture begins to set and become golden. Then transfer to the oven and cook for 10 – 12 minutes; or under the grill for about 6 minutes until firm and golden. *My frying pan measured 8 -10 inches inches, but you may want to cook the vegetables in a large pan and then transfer it to a frying pan to make the frittata.

6 comments:

  1. looks delicious and just what you need after a visit to the plot. Hope you make it back tomorrow morning. I was the only person mad enough to venture to our allotment this morning and half an hour later when I was soaked to the skin I realised why. I quite liked it in a funny sort of way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very sly to dry the heads upside down, Mango. The birds will thank you for that.
    Now, pass me a slice of that frittata, please. That looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dried the sunflower seeds mostly on the plant this year, in the wind. I set out the heads on the patio, and the birds have been helping themselves...along with a pudgy squirrel. Your frittata looks yummy...i still have a lot of chard growing outside...this could be a good way to use some up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nic.
    Its a bit more dry to day, so we are off to the allotment, how long we will spend there is another question.
    Hope you ain't caught a cold after getting wet yesterday?!


    Barbara,
    I know it's mean of me to dry the heads upside down, but the like you say the birds will thank you for that. The frittata was nice, thick and compact too for lunches too.


    Hello GardenMOm,
    Hope your keeping well.
    If I left mine outside the rain would have made the seeds dams and therefore they would have rotted, I don't have that many to dry, so those I do are in the greenhouse.
    It must have bee lovely to watch the brids on the patio helping themselves...along with a 'pudgy' squirrel. Nature is beautiful, even more when you can watch it from your door.

    I hope you enjoy the chard if you make it. I have planted so much of it this year, it should keep me going through most of winter. So more recipes are due to appear on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cooking with chard! Such a great flavour and in my mind I prefer it to spinach! Love the flan!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You