Thursday, 26 November 2009

Cauliflower imitating 'rice' served with tofu Thai curry

Yes, cauliflower 'rice'. It is actually quite a simple idea where the cauliflower is grated so that it resembles grains of rice, then cooked briefly in boiling water.

I would love to take credit for this but it is actually adapted from a recipe by Rose Elliot, the Queen of vegetarian cuisine in the U.K. Cauliflower has a low carbohydrate content and because of this it is often used as a substitute for potatoes in a Low carbohydrate diet. Apparently there are only 20 calories in a 3.5 ounce serving and no fat, so cauliflower can be enjoyed in abundance (but to be honest how many of us would eat it in large quantities?!).

Cauliflower has many health benefits. It is a good source of vitamin C, an important antioxidant vitamin, one that helps strengthen the immune system, promote wound healing, and prevent skin-aging. It’s also a good source of the B vitamins and folate. It also has small quantities of potassium and magnesium, minerals which help maintain normal blood pressure. Cauliflower belongs to the cruciferous family, so it has the same anti-cancer fighting properties of broccoli, kale, and cabbage.

Although the cauliflower was not grown by me, the spring onions and sprouting broccoli were home grown. I am sorry to say that this is the last of my calabrese for the year. However, its not all bad I am due to get some white nine star perennial broccoli and hopefully a second burst of PSB, as it was extremely early this year.

The cauliflower 'rice' actually reminds me other another dish: cauliflower couscous, an idea popularised by El Bulli Restaurant.
Anyway, this is another dish that is so easy to quick to put together after a long working day, especially if you use a ready made Thai green curry paste (make sure its suitable for vegetarians and vegans).
Cauliflower ‘rice’ served with tofu Thai curry
Serves 4
For the Tofu Thai curry
2 tablespoons olive oil
Packet of plain tofu, cut into cubes
4 spring onions, sliced
100g broccoli. I had a mix of PSB and sprouting broccoli.
2 tablespoons of Thai green curry paste or to taste
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander
For the cauliflower ‘rice’
1 large cauliflower
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Put in the tofu cubes and fry. Keep turning until the tofu is golden on all sides. Add the broccoli and cook for a few minutes with the lid on as it will spit. Then add the spring onions, coconut milk and curry paste, and season with salt to taste. Leave to cook gently for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile make the cauliflower ‘rice’. Grate the cauliflower or chop it in a food processor, so it looks like rice. Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well and season to taste with salt. Finally stir the coriander into the curry and serve with the cauliflower rice. Adapted from Rose Elliot's The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Cookbook


  1. Well, I love the idea of cauliflower 'rice', I love cauliflower but I struggle to incorporate it into as many dishes as other, more versatile, vegetables. This is a nice way to get more :)

    How do I sign up for the herb blogging...? I'm a big fan of herbs.

  2. Hi Mangocheeks,
    Just a quick note to say "Happy Thanksgiving" and let you know that I really missed visiting your blog. I've been very busy working and everything. This Thai curry looks oh so good and it keeps calling my name. I've to come back to read all your wonderful posts that I missed later maybe after work tomorrow night. Talk to you later:)

  3. Hiya :-) Am I the only person, then, that can eat stacks (or should that be stalks??) of cauliflower? I love it, and broccoli, especially purple sprouting broccoli, yum.

    When I was a child (in a meat-eating family) cauliflower cheese was one of my favourite meals, along with macaroni cheese - clearly I was a closet vegetarian even then:)

    No I'm vegan I sometimes make a "mock cheese" sauce to re-create it, but it's not the same. And we won't go into the fact that wheat-free pasta just doesn't taste like the "real" thing, either!

    Anyway, the thing is, I LOVE cauliflower, raw and cooked.

    Call in for a chat with me! Christine's Chatter is at :-

  4. I've never tried tofu but you've made me want to try this recipe, it's looks very sophisticated! And I could do with a bit of low-carb food, I've put six pounds on again. That six pounds keeps coming and going but won't stay away!

  5. Hello Ann,
    Tofu is quite bland, but it does have the ability to 'sop' of the flavours of other ingredients. Please do try it though.
    I know how you feel re putting weight on. This year, I have cooked so maky sweet delights that I also have piled on a few pounds, but I love my food too much to diet.

    Thanks for coming back Oraphan.

    "Happy Thanksgiving" to you too. Our working and home lives will get busy, and the blog is a hobby so I totally understand for taking time out.

    Glad your back though.

    Hiya Christine.
    I am sure there are other people like you that love the cauliflower and their stalks. Ihave just not met them. I do like PSB and broccoli though, just not the Cauli.

    It was interesting to read about the food you make now. The sacrifices some of us make to follow a different diet will of course impact on flavour, but it is our choice and something we get used to.

    Hi Rachel.
    Wow another blogger who likes cauliflower, now I am wondering am I the odd one!?

    I will be in touch via e mail re WHB.

  6. Cauliflower rice sound so unique. Thanks for sharing!

  7. Thank you for your comment Saveur.

  8. Actually I love cauliflower too, and it's perfect for my low-glycemic way of eating. My favorite so far is either Cauliflower gratin or mashed cauliflower with garlic and goat cheese, but I've had this type of cauli-rice on my "to-try" list for a long time. Must check out this cookbook too, as I once tried one of her recipes that I found on another blog and it was great!

  9. Kalyn.
    Its so nice to read that there are people that like cauliflower, unlike my biased tastebuds.
    I like the sound of caulif with garlic and goats cheese.

    Please do check out Rose Elliots other cook books she really is a British institution.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You