Monday, 9 November 2009

Chard and potato terrine

I am one of those people who will normally come in from work and put a meal on the table, totally made from scratch. This is only possible because I don’t have too many ‘homely responsibilities’ such as relatives or small children to care for. However, this culinary hobby of mine which now and again helps me unwind from a long and busy day does sometime feel heavy, as there are days when I would rather come in and slouch on the sofa, rather than be in the kitchen weighing and measuring ingredients, afterall food is a necessity - we eat to survive.
These days I plan ahead and try to make some of our working week meals at the weekend. Then all we have to do is assemble and heat it up (I do not have a microwave). The only problem is our kitchen is small, it’s 6 foot by 4 foot. The white utilities in the kitchen reflect this too, as our fridge is too small to hold a weeks worth of cooked dinners, stored in oven-proof dishes or pots. So there are still many evenings when I come home and cook from scratch and thoroughly enjoy it. Then there are those days when I put together something simple on the table, even if that means eating home-grown vegetables sometimes accompanied by shop bought 'meat substitute' pie or a pizza, which I admit we do now and again. But not today, here is a dish I made yesterday, all that was required was heating up in the oven for 30 minutes, then served with the broccoli I picked on Saturday.
Other than the odd potato slice sliding, the terrine came out pretty much in tact. It is hard to take a decent food photograph now, especially with the darker evenings, but I took one anyway to show what the terrine looked like. D snugged his nose and said ‘your not putting that on, are you?’ I actually ummed and erred, finally deciding that I was going to. After all this is a home cooks food blog, not a professional food blog or a photography blog. I do however agree with him, that the photograph really doesn’t do the 'Chard and potato terrine' justice, as it cut beautifully and tasted rich, comforting and delightful for a chilly evening. You will just have to take my word for it.

Chard and potato terrine
Serves 4
4 Chard leaves with their stalks
2 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Double cream
Cheddar cheese
I honestly cannot remember how many potatoes, but if I am guessing about 400g I sliced them thinly with my mandolin and shredded 4 chard leaves and stalks. I rubbed a loaf pan with butter and arranged about a third of the potatoes, sprinkled with sliced garlic, seasoning and chopped butter, then added a layer of chard. Repeat this process, until I ended up with a final potato layer and sprinkled over some grated cheddar cheese. I dotted the surface with the a little more butter then evenly poured over 140ml of double cream. Covered with foil and baked in the oven for about 1 ½ hour. Adapted from the Vegetarian Table: France


  1. Are you kidding? The photo is enticing, and I would love a piece of that right now. Pure comfort food.
    I'm like you in the kitchen, Mango, cooking is therapy, but it's nice to have some dishes you can just heat up in a hurry.

  2. It looks pretty good to me!! It may not be the most visually beautiful dish, but oooh, look at that cheese :)

  3. sounds and looks delicious - your photo makes me hungry and shows just how the terrine looks - I suspect your standards are just very high with photos but I think that in a home cooked blog you can get away with ordinary photos and in fact should have some ordinary photos so as not to intimidate the rest of us :-)

  4. I think it looks lovely, it's all about real food, home cooked,not clever photo tricks, well done you.

  5. Thank you Barbara.
    It really was comfort food.
    Its nice to read there are people who think just like me.

    Thank you Rachel.

    Thank you Johanna.
    Your right I have set myself a certain standard with my amateur photographs. Such standards are also reflected in my work and social activities. I am not a competitive person, but like the next person, I am influenced by fellow human beings (bloggers in this case) and aspire to do well. I want to do things to the best of my ability. So I think it is good to have certain standards now and again, especially if it encourages others positively.

  6. Welcome Cathy and Thank you so much for your kind comment.

    I am truly encouraged to read such postive comments from fellow bloggers. As you wrote 'it's all about real food, home cooked, not clever photo tricks'. Thanks you.

  7. I agree with the others, your photos always look pretty good to me and I'd much rather have something real than just artifice. This dish leaves me positively starving.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You