Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Two Tone raspberry cakes

I picked the last of the autumn raspberries on Sunday. These canes had only been transplanted to plot 45 early in the year, so had not yet established properly as the raspberries on them were flavourless, unlike those I had growing at plot 11
So instead of eating these fresh, I decided to make these two tone raspberry cakes based on the Double chocolate and raspberry cakes I made a month or so ago.
These little heart shaped cuties are much lighter. They did not last long, as D gobbled 4 in one go.
Two tone raspberry cakes
Make 8 - 10 individual portions
175g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
175g caster sugar
175g butter, at room temperature
3 organic, free range eggs, beaten
50g white chocolate chips or chunks, chopped into pieces
2 tbsp cocoa powder
100g fresh raspberries
Heat oven to 180C. Grease a 8 - 10 holes of a muffin tin. Sieve flour and baking powder into a bowl, and stir in sugar. Blend the butter until soft, then add the eggs and beat or whisk together until the mixture is light. Then divide mixture into two bowls. In one bowl gently fold in the white chocolate. In the other bowls, sift in the cocoa powder and stir to combine, then gently fold in the raspberries. Spoon the mixtures one by one and evenly into the muffin tin, alternating the colours if you wish. Don’t overfill as the cakes will rise. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, remove (you may need to use a palette knife) and leave to cool completely.


  1. Scottish raspberries and flavourless don't seem to go together - your cakes look lovely

  2. how delightful! I actually started to drool looking at the picture (so embarrased).

  3. What a lovely photo of your raspberries! I loved picking rasberries when I went to visit my father-in-law in Massachusetts one summer, I had so much fun. Your heart cakes look so lovely. Lucky D, I would gobble 4 in one go too if I were there, YUM!

  4. ooo yummy, my mouth is watering right now!

  5. Johanna.
    Normally I would agree with you and these would have been sweet, but I think the reason is that the canes have not really had a chance to establish, plus I haven't fed the ground either. Next year will be sweeter.

    Thank you for making me smile, Leah. I am trying to imagine you drooling.

    Thank you Jenn.

    Thanks Oraphan.
    This is the last of the raspberry photos for this year. Raspberries are lovely to pick, you can eat as you go along and your palms get all red from the juices. You feel like a child in a candy shop.

    I would have been more than happy to share these cakes, believe me D doesn't need to be eating that many in one go!

    Thanks Rose.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You