Friday, 9 October 2009

Double chocolate and raspberry cakes

I made individual portions of these double chocolate and raspberry cakes early on in the week with the last of the raspberries I picked from plot 11, before bidding it farewell.
I have made a version of this Chocolate cake about a year ago in a Tray Bake, that version was made with just white chocolate and I remember it being a smash hit with everyone who had a slice, especially D who was just my fiancée at the time. I also recall them being very, very sweet and chocolaty, so with this one I have made just a few minor changes.

I think these cakes were even more delicious, I like to believe this was because they contained my own Autumn raspberries.
Double chocolate and raspberry cakes
Make 10 individual portions
175g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
175g caster sugar
175g butter, at room temperature
3 organic, free range eggs, beaten
100g white chocolate chips or chunks, chopped into pieces
150g raspberries (optional extra for garnish)
2tbsp cocoa powder
60g dark chocolate chips or chunks, chopped into pieces
Heat oven to 180C. Grease a 10 x muffin tin. Sieve flour and baking powder into a bowl, and stir in sugar. Add butter and eggs, and beat together until the mixture is light. Spoon half the batter into another bowl and add the white chocolate and 100g of the raspberries; mix until the berries are well combined, then set aside. Sift the cocoa powder into the remaining plain mixture and fold in dark chocolate and remaining raspberries.

Spoon the mixtures evenly into the muffin tin, alternating colours if you wish. Don’t overfill as the cakes will rise. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then gently remove from the muffins cases (you may need to use a palette knife) and leave to cool completely. If you have the patience, I think these are better eaten a day later.


  1. better next day... I'd have to tie G or up hide the tin to be able to try that in this house!

  2. i must say they look fabulous! you know how much i love raspberries, and with white chocolate is a perfect combination. Although i dont think this would be easy to veganise, if a recipe calls for 1-2 eggs i usually use egg replacer, but any more than that and sometimes it doesnt bind enough.


  3. Hey Nic,
    I know what you mean. D actually ate one within the hour. Waiting a day or two later never works with sweet things.

    Thank you.

    Just a suggestion. It may work, it may not. Half the quantitites and where the egg is required subsitute it with a large egg vegan equivalent.

    In the near future, I have plans to make a vegan raspberry chocolate cake with a twist, so it might be worth the wait.

  4. Oh the vegan raspberry chocolate cake sounds delightful, cant wait!

  5. I promise to make it, but it might be the winter time Rose, so plese be patient with me.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You