Sunday, 18 October 2009

It is said that Eve tempted Adam with an apple

and boyo, these apples growing in my neighbours plot sure looked inviting, but I honestly didn’t pick any,
like the pears last month, three of these apples had landed on my side of the plot which I gratefully accepted as a gift from mother nature and this is what I did with two of them. The other I ate one - fresh and crisp.
With the evenings getting darker, I am finding like other fellow bloggers that taking pictures of food is not easy, ahh I guess it is something us amateur photographers have to get used to, or try and find ways around this. This cake was really sweet, so I would advise serve it with some vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream to cut the richness.
Upside-down Toffee Apple cake
Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients
50g butter
200g brown sugar
2 - 3 eating apples, peeled and cored and sliced into ¼ inch thick
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
200ml buttermilk
75ml sunflower or vegetable oil
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. Melt the butter in a medium sized oven proof frying pan about 10 inches in diameter. Stir in all but 50g of the sugar and cook over gentle heat for a couple of minutes. Add the apples and remove from the heat and set aside.

Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt, soda and cinnamon into a bowl. Whisk the eggs in a bowls and add the remaining sugar, buttermilk and oil. Mix together, then pour into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine into a liquid batter. Pour this over the apple in the pan. Place the pan in a preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the cake feels firm in the centre.Cool for a few minutes before turning out by placing an inverted plate over the top f the pan and turning pan and plate over together in one quick movement. Serve warm or at room temperature with softly whipped cream. Adapted from Rachel Allens Rachels Favourite food at home

16 comments:

  1. Those apples from mother nature...do look pretty gorgeous!!..not to mention your beautiful cake..great job! Super lovely! Why am I so hungry now? hmm! Great post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apples and toffee together. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kiki.
    The cake is sticky and super sweet, so I can imagine why you must be a bit hungry.


    Welcome to my blog gaga, and Thanks for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that apple looks absolutely amazing! nice cake too, might have to try out that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! Sounds lovely. I bet the fresh apple tasted amazing.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Clare,
    Make sure you have some people over, you don't want to be eating this cake just on your own, it is quite rich.


    Rose,
    The fresh apple was really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love upside-down things, Mango. I still have lots of apples from my neighbors' trees so I will have to try this toffee teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara,
    I hope it turns out to be the toffee teaser you imagine it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy....you make day...can't wait to try

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome kasdi.
    If you do get round to making it, I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post! I really love your writing style especially this one.

    Your toffee Apple Cake looks and sounds so delicious! I've never cooked apples before, only eat them fresh or put in my smoothies. Now you inspired me to give this recipe a try.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely comments, I really appreciate your time:) I'm so glad that I've found you. What a lovely and friendly blog you have! Can't wait to come back and read more about your amazing allotment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Oraphan.
    My writitng style is quite casual really, when I have time I write more detail, other days it is just a brief entry. But I do really appreciate your comment.

    As much as I like eating apples raw, I love cooking with the too. So would certainly encourage others and yourself to try and cook with apples, as the texture chances and the flavour becomes more intense.

    Thank you for returning the compliment and stopping by my blog and for your time to leave such lovely comments too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love apple season. Your cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cake looks amazing! Definitely bookmarking it to try in the future. I absolutely love apples, anything to do with them. I also wanted to say thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Emma,
    I reemmber this being a really DELICIOUS cake. You are absolutely welcome regarding the comment. I also want to say thank you so much for repaying the compliment by coming by my humble space.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You