Saturday, 31 October 2009

Rainbow Chard Tart

I have found chard really easy to grow. You can start seedlings indoors and transplant, or start them from seed outdoors. Either way, chard is likely to take off. I have also found that insects and other beasties tend to leave it alone. Another great thing about this plant is it will replenish for harvesting again and again. Chard is a prolific chard "cut and come again" vegetable. I am so looking forward to enjoying it over the winter season.
Look at the diversity of the chard growing on my plot. The colours are so amazing: from ruby red, magenta, pink to golden, yellow, oranges and verdant greens. But it is not enough to look at them, I also have to find interesting ways of eating them which isn't really that hard as it is quite a versatile vegetable.
Last week I made chard bundles and today I decided to make a simple chard tart, brightened up with the colours of the rainbow. I am submitting this dish to Katie from Eat This for Weekend Herb Blogging #207, the weekly event founded by Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen and now coordinated by Haalo of Cook (Almost) Anything at Least Once.
Rainbow Chard Tart
Serves 4 – 6
For the shortcrust pastry
225g wholemeal flour
Pinch of salt
125g butter or margarine
3 tablespoons of cold water
Sift flour and salt into bowl, then add the residue of the bran from the sieve back into the bowl. Add the butter or margarine then rub it into the flour with your fingertips, continue until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs, then add the water a little at a trim and use your fingers to press the mixture together to form a dough, then knead lightly for a couple of minutes until smooth. Then roll out onto floured surface and line an 8 inch tin and trim the edges. Bake at gas mark 6 for 15- 20 minutes until the pastry is set.
For the filling
4 chard stalks, steamed and the leaves minced
1 small onions, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon of olive oil
150ml single cream or milk
1 egg yolk
Salt and pepper to taste
While tart pastry is cooking, fry the onions and garlic in the oil for 10 minutes until translucent. Stir in minced chard leaves and remove from the heat. In another bowl, mix cream or milk, egg and seasoning, then stir in the onions.
To assemble
Lay the chard stalks into the tart tin, then pour the egg mixture into the tart tin. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the egg mixture is cooked and firm to the touch.


  1. I am drooling at that tart. It is so lovely!

  2. How beautiful! I've never thought of making tart with chard. I only put chard in my stir-fry, I've always learned something new from you. I'm wondering if you need a lot of space to grow chard, can I grow them in a big pot?
    I have very tiny space to experiment with my organic gardening so I mostly put my plants in pots.

  3. This looks gorgeous - I am sorry to say my mum gave me a tub of rainbow chard which never thrived as I expected - but I did manage to salvage some - so I am in awe of your beautiful colourful stalks

  4. Thanks K.

    Thank you Oraphan.
    Please do experiment chard. I have a few other recipes to try, so do come by and check them out.

    Before I had an allotment plot, I grew what I could in pots and chard was one of them. I leave about 5 inches between plants. Chard is great interspersed between other plants too.

    Hi Johanna.
    Hope you have better luck with chard in the future.

  5. That tart is simply beautiful, I must try it! I grow chard too and it is one of the prettiest veggies.

  6. Thanks Janet.
    It truly is a pretty plant, very ornamental too.

  7. I love chard! Trying to decide what to do with the very last of it still growing in my garden, because after I cut it I doubt I'll get another crop this year.

  8. Lovely, lovely recipe. I heard that Chard isn't the tastiest vegetable, but it certainly looks it in your photos.

  9. Thanks Kalyn.
    I think you should leave the plant in, you may get some more chard growing.

    Hello Mrs Costello,
    It's been a while since I have heard from you. I do hope your well and look forward to reading your blog the next time you up-date it.
    Your right - chard isn't particularly tasty, but it has substance and texture and works well with other flavours, so I would certainly recommend growing it, whether its for eating or for its ornamental value.

  10. Another stunning recipe from you - I love it.

  11. What a handsome looking tart!

  12. Thank you so much Choclette and Marisa.

  13. Thank you, mangocheeks. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works:)

  14. Your chards looks amazing! I didn't know they could be so colourful

  15. Oh Oraphan,
    Hope it works out for. Let me know.

    Thanks Graziana,
    Yes the chard is a very attractive plant.

  16. Yum! That tart looks beautiful. I have been getting surprise boxes of organic vegies delivered lately, the latest of which contained rainbow chard - what a fabulous vegetable!

  17. Thank you so much Mary, and Welcome.

    I hope you enjoy your chard!

  18. Yes, I do love the colors of chard. Almost as much as I love eating it. Thanks for the tart idea. My mouth is watering.

  19. Thanks for coming by Katrina.
    I am so glad you like the idea of this recipe.
    Thank you


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You