Thursday, 29 October 2009

Stoved Jerusalem Artichokes with PSB

Here is some Calabrese Arcadia and my amazing super early Purple Sprouting broccoli (PSB). I picked these from the plot the same time I dug up the Jerusalem artichokes, so this was one of our meals a little while ago.
I made stoved Jerusalem Artichokes and served it alongside steamed broccoli. The Jerusalem artichokes cooked this way are really pleasant, crispy and chewy on the outside and soft on the inside delicately infused with the flavours of the herbs. What was really great about this dish, was that it did not take that much time to cook and eat. So it is certainly one, I will be making again in the future.
Stoved Jerusalem Artichokes with Herbs
serves 2
400g Jerusalem Artichokes
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 bay leaves
Sprig of rosemary
3 tbsp olive oil
Peel artichokes (as they were home grown I did not peel mine) and cut any large ones in half.
Arrange all the ingredients in a large pan so the artichokes are in a single layer. Put pan over high heat until oil is sizzling, then cover, turn heat low and cook for 10 minutes, turning halfway through. Uncover pan, turn up heat and cook for another 10 minutes until the artichokes and garlic are golden on the outside and tender inside. Adapted from Annie Bell's Vegetable Book.


  1. mmm, that's our favourite way of cooking jerusalem artichokes. They look quite crispy like roasted potatoes. Ours are peeled and chopped and cooked with red wine and cheese so a bit more gooey.

  2. Nic,
    Your way of eating them intrigues me. Maybe I will give it a go.

  3. This post is very interesting! I've never heard or seen jerusalem artichokes before. Do they look like regular artichokes? Your broccoli looks absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to clean up my tiny garden and plant something!!!

  4. Thank you Oraphan.

    If you find yourself liking the taste of Jerusalem and wanting to grow them, please note that they require a permanent spot, and once you start growing them, you will have them pretty much for life. Plus bare in mind that they are pretty invasive, so you will have to manage them, otherwise they will colonise the bed that they are in.

  5. The artichokes look amazing!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You