Tuesday, 6 October 2009

Cavolo nero with puy lentils and tomatoes

The two vegan products we always have in the fridge are Pure margarine: either made from sunflower or from soya beans; and Alpro soya milk. Over the years, I have got used to the flavour of the vegan margarine, but not so much the soya milk. Both these products are in the house because of D. A few years ago he decided to give up cows milk for soya milk to reduce his arthritis symptoms, and to be fair it has worked to some extent. But he has not given up on the cheese or Greek yogurt. So these vegan products are in the house, not for dietary reasons, but more for health reasons.
Today my breakfast began with a couple of slices of Sourdough bread spread with some soya margarine, homemade berry jam and a mug of black coffee. I made some Warming Black bean soup yesterday (I will post the recipe tomorrow), which I had for lunch with a bag of unsalted crisps. After work supper was Cavolo nero aka Black cabbage to us Brits with puy lentils and tomatoes served with roasted potatoes (recipe below).
Resisting evening nibbles is a tough one, as we tend to savour cheese slices, unless of course it's Friday and Friday for me means 'popcorn night', but I made the effort to make some vegan parsley shortcakes to be eaten with the home-made spicy tomato and apple chutney, that is of course if we felt the greed to nibble later. I don't think I will be opting for vegan cheese, I have tried some in the past and have not been enthused by any of them. Anyway, if you are interested in the parsley shortcakes, please do come back tomorrow when I will showcase them.

Cavolo nero with puy lentils and tomatoes
Serves 2 – 4
Ingredients100g puy lentils
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
3 large handfuls of cavolo nero, chopped
4 tomatoes, quartered
Salt and pepper to season
Method
Boil the lentils in plenty of water until just tender. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a wide pan and cook the onion for a couple of minutes, then add garlic and cavolo nero until it has started to wilt. Cavolo nero is a bit tough, so it may take a few good minutes for this to happen. Then add the tomatoes and cooked lentils to the pan and continue cooking, until the tomatoes are soft and the cavolo nero is tender. Add the remaining olive oil at the end and season to taste. Adapted from Denis Cotters Paradiso Seasons.

7 comments:

  1. My mum makes an awesome capsicum lentil soup. Have you and your husband tried rice milk? I much profer it to soy.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great you've been making such an effort in spite of all your travels.

    The lentils look especially good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried just about every soya milk brand on the market before deciding I just didn't like it all that much. Rice Dream on the other hand, lovely, and even G has it on his cereal. I love it so much I'll drink it as it is - hard core or what ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nic,
    I will give Rice Cream a go! After I've tried the Oat milk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband likes rice dream, but I find it too thin and sweet, I prefer almond milk. I'm not sure if you can get it there, but you can also make it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen rice dream here, will try it out sometime. Thank you for visiting my blog Pomegranate.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You