Saturday, 3 October 2009

Teriyaki Tomatoes and beans with caramelised red onion

I decided to make this recipe as I way to use up some of the green beans and tomatoes. I am not too sure what to say about this dish, as I wasn't bowled over by it. It was very unusual. The combination of oriental flavours in the form of the teriyaki sauce certainly sounds like it would clash somewhat with the caramelized onions, but actually they complimented each other well. It is not a dish I would make again, but it was interesting to try and a change for my taste buds.
Teriyaki Tomatoes and beans with caramelized red onion
Serves 4
500g green beans
250g firm red tomatoes, quartered
250g or 1 tin of cooked haricot beans* (see note below)
4 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 red chilli, finely sliced
1 large handful of coriander, chopped
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Salt and pepper
For the caramelized red onion
250g red onions
4 tbsp chilli oil
½ tsp soft brown sugar
1 inch long piece of ginger, grated
2 cloves of garlic
Dash of tabasco
Top and tail the green beans and cook in salted water until al dente. Then drain and set aside.
For the caramelized red onion: peel the onions and cut in half along the length, then cut into thin slices, again following the length. Heat 2 tbsp of the chilli oil and fry the onion over a gentle heat until soft, gradually adding the sugar, grated ginger, garlic, Tabasco, salt and pepper. The onion will caramelize, when this consistently has been achieved. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

In the same pan, heat the remaining chilli oil and quickly sauté the green beans, adding the tomato quarters turning and tossing for 1 minute. Then add the beans, teriyaki sauce, diced chilli and coriander. Serve with some plain boiled rice and top with the caramelized onion. Finally sprinkle over the sesame seeds. Recipe Adapted from The New Cranks Recipe Book

*I didn’t have any cannellini beans, so substituted it with haricot bean. It didn’t work very well, I think butter beans would have been a better substitute.


  1. this is what I love about blogging, the honesty with which people right about the how food tastes when it looks so enticing. I've tried several recipes where I've been disappointed with the flavour and I'm with you on saying when something's a bit bland. Fessing up to the mistakes I make too is a significant factor with my blogging :o)

  2. Dear Chef,

    Great blog!!

    Please visit my blog and see if it is something that you would be willing to be linked too.

    I was born in Harrogate and am currently working in Penang, Malaysia.

    I will of course reciprocate.

    Warm regards,


  3. Thank you so much Nic,
    What you have written is so true and it means a lot to me.

    Thank Michele.

    Hello Mike and Welcome to my humble blog.
    I would be more than delighted to add you to my Food Blogroll.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You