Friday, 30 October 2009

Autumnal Scones

Since it's the season to showcase pumpkins and all things autumnal, I thought I would show off some of my beautiful golden apple squashes.
A couple of years ago when I used to get the train into work, I remember walking past a popular coffee outlet and seeing some pumpkin scones being advertised on the blackboard in the High Street. I never got round to trying them, but remember thinking that they sounded quite appealing. So what did I decide to do with the remainder of the pureed squash left over from the pancakes early in the week, well make some squash scones of course.

These scones are pretty much based on the recipe from the coffee shop, but with a few subtle changes. Making these squash scones also gave me the chance to use my pumpkin biscuit (cookie) cutter. I am so pleased with them. They are gently spiced and look quite impressive.
I am submitting this recipe to Grow your own (GYO) #37. GYO is usually a twice a month blogging event which was started by Andrea Meyer of Andrea's Recipes. I think this is a lovely food blogger event as it also supports the principle behind my blog that celebrates the fruit, vegetables and herbs we grow and the dishes we make using our homegrown produce. This is the last GYO of the year as it will go on winter hiatus, so understandably it is being hosted by Andrea.

Autumnal Squash Scones
Makes 8 – 10 scones
Ingredients
250g plain flour
75g dark brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground clove
Generous grating of nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
A pinch of salt
75g unsalted butter
75ml milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
75g cooked and pureed squash or pumpkin
Method
Mix together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and cut into flour. Mixture should look like coarse breadcrumbs. In another bowl mix together the pumpkin, milk and vanilla. Add most of the wet mixture (you may not need all of it as it depends on the consistency of your squash) to flour and mix until the dough comes together.Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Then shape dough into a circle and roll out to about 1 ½ inches thick. Cut out shapes, re-roll the dough and cut out more shapes, until all of the dough has been used. Lay scones on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled lightly with plain flour. Bake in oven gas mark 5 for 25 minutes.

These scones are best eaten warm. I think these scones are delicious as is, but you can serve them with some whipped cream if you wish.

14 comments:

  1. Your scones are SO gorgeous! They're so perfectly shaped - I'm in awe!

    They sound dreamily delicious, too... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow! These scones look awesome. You're so amazing. I'm a BIG fan of pumpkin/squash, I think I'll give this recipe a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Astra Libris,
    They are pretty tasty. As for the shape of the scones, I have to thank my pumpkin shaped biscuit (cookie) cutter.


    Thank you so much for the kind comments Oraphan. Be warned more squash recipes to come. I have a basketful of 'golden apple' squashes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are perfect fall treats, Mango. I bet they taste as good as they look; love the pumpkin cookie cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Barbara.
    I was quite chuffed with them, thanks to my cookie cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scones sound delicious and they look adorable. Thanks for sharing again with Grow Your Own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Andrea.
    I always enjoy participating in GYO. Have a good winter - see you in the springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! You have been so creative lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look awesome and the recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those are beautiful and they look delicious. I think we'll be trying these soon, if only the weather would cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Sue.


    Thank you so, so much Paris at Bless My Nest.
    The cookie/biscuit cutter does make it more appealing, still i remember it being a delicious scone. Hope the weather changes for the better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bellissima ricetta, grazie
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much Rosetta.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen