Thursday, 8 October 2009

Cavolo Nero Potato Cakes with turnips

Cavolo nero aka Black cabbage picked from the garden plot yesterday
Puple top milan turnips picked from the allotment plot this afternoon
taken into the kitchen...
And then served on a plate. I guess you can call these cavolo nero bubble and squeak cakes. I remember a fellow blogger suggesting the idea to me a while ago and I thought why not. I loosely based them on a recipe I made a while ago and they turned out very well. I really liked the flavour of the cavolo nero crisping in the frying pan.
Cavolo Nero Potato Cakes
Makes 8 – 10
Ingredients
250g cavolo nero, stalks removed then cooked, drained and squeezed of all liquid. Then finely chopped.
700g potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 onion, finely sliced
2 tbsp olive oil and extra for shallow frying
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until translucent. Turn off. Then add to this to the mashed potatoes and the shredded cavolo nero and season with salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Shape the mixture into 8 – 10 round cakes. Cover and chill for an hour or more. When ready to eat, heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. Add the cakes and fry over medium high heat for about 5 minutes on each side until crisp and golden brown.
Once peeled, I chopped the turnips into quarters, added a couple of unpeeled garlic, poured over some vegetable stock with some seasoning and cooked them in the oven until tender. Garnished with fresh parsley.

10 comments:

  1. Oooooh!! yummy, clicked and saved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, tasty, I love bubble and squeak especially with a soft yolky egg on top. Don't make me think of yummy food please at bed time! I like the peeling action shot :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely turnips! I like turnips but for some reason am not so fond of parsnips. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks soooo good! I have some turnips im using this weekend. Im cutting mine thin to look like chips and baking them till crisp and then sprinkling creole seasoning on them and we dip them in greek yougart! Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look a lot neater than my cavalo nero bubble and squeak I made a week or so ago. The flavours work brilliantly together. next time I will try and make them into elegant little cakes like yours. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kella.

    Nic,
    D wanted to melt some cheese on the potato cakes, I told him he couldn't. We have 5 left over for our grub tomorrow, I don't think I will be able to stop him tomorrow melting some cheese on top.

    Blame D for the peeling shot! He said he was practising his with the camera.


    Michele,
    I'm not a big fan of either turnips or parsnips. I grew and cooked them for D.


    Jenn,
    Your turnip dish sounds delicious.


    Thanks Ian,
    If you saw the bubble and squeak cakes I made early this year with cabbage, you will agree that they are not so tidy. Tidier bubble and sqeak cakes definately take a lot of practice, and believe me I have now had it.

    I am glad you agree that the combination of cavolo nero and potato works together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I loved the peeling shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look lovely. Calvo Nero is fab and the addition of the turnips must add a nice sweetish dimension. I'd definitely want egg and cheese on them tho because I am greedy :0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Linda.

    Your not being greedy, the addition of cheese and egg add another flavour.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You