Thursday, 1 October 2009

Crispy couscous wedges

with oven baked tomatoes and green beans.
My husband is not a big fan of couscous, well that what he tells me, until he has a mouthful and declares 'actually this is very nice'. What I liked about the couscous wedges was the textures: the softness of the couscous grains, against the crispy ones on the outside. This is relatively a simple dish to make, a good one to make after you've had a busy day.

Crispy couscous wedges
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
300ml vegetable stock
250g couscous
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
50g crumbled feta cheese
3 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
1 beaten egg
4 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6. Place the couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour over the stock and stir in the garlic. Leave till couscous has absorbed the stock. Then gently fork couscous to separate the grains, then add the pine nuts, feta cheese, parsley and seasoning to taste. Add egg and mix to combine. Brush a 9 inch tart tin with a little olive and and spoon in the couscous mixture. Smooth the surface over with the back of a spoon then set aside until ready to eat.
When ready to eat, cut the couscous into four to six wedges. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and fry couscous wedges for a few minutes until golden, then flip over gently and fry until the other side is brown and crisp. Serve with tomatoes and green beans that have been roasted in the oven in a little olive oil for 20 minutes. Idea inspired by Ainsley Harriots Gourmet Express.

14 comments:

  1. This looks interesting and have put the recipe in my file! I suspect it's like a polenta-ish cake but with texture...love the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love couscous. I wonder if this would work with organ no egg powder and cheezly cheese...
    Looks great served with the tomatos and beans.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nifty idea! I'm sure it tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couscous wedges - what a brilliant idea, Mango. I love couscous but had never thought of doing this. It'll be on the weekend menu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that was a pita when I first saw it but was so pleasantly surprised when I realized it had both feta AND couscous. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shauna,
    Spot on with the description of polenta, but with more texture.

    You can vary the parsley with different softer herbs such as basil or thyme or even chopped spring onions.


    Hi Rose,
    I was thinking how this can be veganized. I don't think the cheese is essential as it only adds another flavour. I think if you increase the stock by 50ml and add the pinenuts and herbs at the same time and then put it into a deep dish to set (miss out the fluffing and forking process of the couscous) and then cut into wedges. I think the couscous should be much stickier so will hold during the frying process. Have a go! and let me know how you get on.


    The Woman,
    Thank you.


    Hi Fran,
    I hope you like it! You can increase the feta to 100g if you wish.


    Hi Joanne,
    I can totally understand why you thought they looked like pitta, as the picture did not do it much justice. But it did taste quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking of veganising it with cheezly cheese too but my egg replacer of choice has to be boiled linseed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes have problems with things sticking together not using eggs, so maybe using a melting vegan cheese would help too. But yeah, i would like to give it a go, i will keep it in mind :)
    Thanks

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kella,
    When I suffer from indigestion, my mother advises me(over the telephone) to take some linseed boiled. To be honest to this day I have yet not tried it.


    I tried to find the original Ainsley Harriot recipe on the internet, but I couldn't. The original recipe is called 'Herbed couscous wedges' and is vegan. I added the feta and egg so that I could fry it in the pan. You could make the orignal recipe, which is below.

    Place couscous in a bowland pour over sotock over mixture. Stir in the pine-nuts, parsley and seson to taste. Then stirred couscous transfer to a greased 9 inch round tin. Smooth the surface over with the back of a wooden spoon and then set aside to cool compeltely. (My advice is to leave it overnight.). When ready to eat, turn out couscous onto a large late and cut into 6 wedges and serve.

    I hope this helps to some extent Rose.

    hopefully I will see a version of vegan couscous cakes on your blogs someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cous cous but have never thought of doing it like this - it looks great. its now on the must do list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks very much, I will hopefully make this in the next couple of weeks and let you know how it goes.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Linda,

    It is a nice change from just fluffly couscous. If you have a chance, I would leave the couscous a day later to fry, as I think they (set) held better when frying in the pan, and make sure the oil is hot. I hope you enjoy it. You can increase the cheese anotehr 50g if you wish.

    I hope you enjoy it when you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This look really delicious--I love the wedges.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You